Headaches and hunger on Day 10

On day 10 of perfect compliance, the timeline said the headaches should be over but mine are getting worse.  Now, it's all day and so bad by the time I go to bed at night, I can't sleep,  I'm getting only 2-3 hours of sleep when this happens (3-4 nights so far).  I know it's due to hunger - and I'm reading that I shouldn't be snacking.  I have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack of nuts and fruit or veggies. 

I can't eat as much as you recommend.  I had stomach surgery, it helped me get some of the weight off but I didn't learn good eating habits so I'm trying this.  The big problem with the surgery is, you can't eat much at a sitting, but it goes right through you and you're hungry an hour later.  If I have to go with the mini meals, that's just triple the prep time for me.  I work, so I have to bring lunch and snacks to work in the morning - after I cook and eat breakfast.  I don't know what protein I can bring to work for between meals.  I don't like hard boiled eggs and I only like shrimp with cocktail sauce.  I haven't yet had time to prep a lot on Sunday to eat during the week.  Yesterday was Mother's Day and I had 17 people for lunch (and managed to stay perfectly compliant while they had a Mexican fiesta!).  By the time everyone left, I was entirely too tired to prep meals for the week. 

Please help - I don't know what to do about the hunger - I'm eating nuts because it's easy but I'm afraid it's going to inhibit my weight loss.  Also, easy ideas for protein snacks would be really helpful. 

Thank you - Tricia

• Moderators

Three meals a day doesn't apply to people who physically cannot eat that volume at a meal, for instance,  due to surgery. 

We would encourage you to eat a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables each time you eat. Just adjust the serving sizes to what works for you.

To help with food prep, why not make enough for several meals at a time -- grill or bake several pieces of chicken, make up a pot of chili or stew, cook a few dozen meatballs. Roast a couple of sheet pans full of root vegetables -- these are not bad cold or reheated, whichever is easier for you. Clean and chop things like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers -- you could easily steam this in the microwave at work if you have access to one, or stir fry them when you get home. Any of these things can be packed up and taken to work with you. You can put together large meals and eat what you can, put it back in the fridge or cooler, and go back to it instead of a different snack, or you can pack smaller meals if you want variety throughout the day, but it can all be real food, not "snacks" in the sense of nuts or jerky or whatever.

Also be sure you're salting your food and drinking plenty of water, and always keep in touch with your doctor to be sure you're getting all the nutrition you need, and follow their instructions if they tell you you need to supplement  (although it's always okay to question if there are cleaner versions of things, if they suggest things that are full of sugar or fillers).

Shannon,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice!  I like the idea of just bringing a larger meal and eating it throughout the day.  I need to work harder on planning and preparation.  I hope eating more makes the headaches go away - right now I wish I could cut off my head!  :(

Thanks - Tricia

Archived