Gallbladder attacks - use of beet juice during Whole30

I've done two Whole30s in the last 7 months - no cheats. Towards the end of my second Whole30, I began experiencing pain in my abdomen and back that I haven't dealt with in over 5 years. I'm almost certain is has to do with my gallbladder (no insurance at the moment - and 5 years ago, doctors weren't much help anyhow - they ruled out bacteria, ulcers, etc.) I've been dealing with this pain since shortly before Thanksgiving. The only foods that don't trigger pain are fiberless and unhealthy - rice, rice krispies, donuts, white bread (yikes!). If I eat a typical Whole30 meal - I'd be in tremendous pain a few hours later, and the pain will last 1-3 hours. I've since discovered forums encouraging the use of fresh beet juice and apple cider vinegar to thin the bile and "kickstart" the gallbladder. I was skeptical - but willing to try anything that may work. I am SHOCKED at how well this works - I'm able to eat real food again! I drink small amounts of beet juice throughout the day - which seems to be enough to keep the pain away. However, if the pain does start, I do a "shot" of beet juice with a few tsps of apple cider vinegar - and the pain subsides almost immediately.

I'd like to get back on track with eating real food and possibly doing a Whole30. Can fresh beet juice used in this way be considered "medicine" while doing a Whole30? I've never had cravings for juice - in fact, I've never been able to drink more than about 1/4c of juice at any one time.

Beet juice sounds like a wonder! I just had my gallbladder out a week ago and am able to tolerate fat again. Although paleo eating did not cause my gallbladder problems, the fat content increased my symptoms.

During the time while I was waiting for surgery, I took an herbal remedy called Gallbladder Formula made by Nature's Sunshine. It did wonders for the pain. My sister, who doesn't have insurance, swears by Gallbladder Formula. I have half a bottle sitting here that I'd give you if you were sitting right here. :-)

Thanks, Tom!

And ereiam - you are so sweet! I'm going to look into compliant beet juice supplements to see if these are as effective as fresh juice (because peeling and juicing beets is a big time-consuming mess!)

It will be very interesting to see if I can bring my system back into balance with real food, beet juice and apple cider vinegar. I miss being able to eat veggies, avocados and meat!

Archived