Started my first Whole30 6 days ago: Numbness?

NatPatBen

Hello, everyone!

Just created an account on this website to get involved in the forum community. My husband and I began the Whole30 on December 27, after our holiday house guests left.

A few random things:

• This is EXPENSIVE! I've spent about $200 on groceries so far and we've already eaten most of them. Plus I purchased a higher quality pan that can go from stove top to oven, a vegetable slicer, and a Ninja blender (well, that was a gift).
  • My husband is REALLY struggling without rice (a staple in his home country of Jamaica): cauliflower rice didn't cut it for him
  • My husband also is extremely picky and has many things he refuses to eat. This is a bit of a challenge (esp since I LOVE mushrooms but he refuses).
  • I've been blogging about each day, but not publishing the blog posts. I likely will publish them all at once at the end, as I periodically search for other folks' blogs on their Whole30 experiences
  • I've read a ton of books & watched several documentaries on food starting May of this year including Food Inc, Fat Head, Clean by Dr Junger, Wheat Belly, It All Starts with Food, Paleo Solution, and more.
  • In June, I followed some of the Clean principles (12 hr+ fast between dinner & breakfast, smoothies -mainly green- for breakfast or dinner, no dairy except butter, plenty of sleep). I felt GREAT, my #s improved (LDL and total cholesterol dropped 40 pts). Then I began traveling: 6 trips in the second half of the year. I knew that when my traveling was over, I'd want to give the Clean program 100% for 30 days. But between now & then, I discovered Paleo (probably from a Clean forum) and decided to do a Whole30 instead
  • It seems that since Friday, I've been spending all day every day either grocery shopping (it took several stores to find coconut aminos, Red Boat fish sauce, and kelp noodles), cooking, or cleaning the kitchen. Therefore, when last night I read the 30 day preview for Well Fed and saw a part about doing all prepping in an hour on Saturday, I bought it immediately!
  • I've started experiencing intermittent numbness (Monday night, which was Day 4) in my thumbs (mainly right thumb). This has set off alarm bells
  • I've seen a tremendous increase in dry patches of skin. This is also alarming, as I would've thought this increase in coconut products, esp oil, would keep my body more moisturized. Yesterday, my husband asked me why I had so many bruises on my leg. That's how bad these dry patches look.

Guess that's long enough for a first post.

Anyone else experienced the numbness or dry patches & found solutions?

• Moderators

Numbness and dry patches of skin are not normal. It would help if you provided a log of what you are eating so we can assess whether what you are eating or not eating may be contributing to the problems. Skin issues are often diet, but I've never heard of diet being responsible for numbness in the thumbs.

Dishes I've eaten so far include:

Fruit: apple, banana, avocado, tomato, lemon, lime, berries, coconut (milk, oil, aminos), oranges

Vegetables: okra, butternut squash, onions, fennel, carrots, garlic, onion, cilantro, kale, lettuce, cauliflower, bell peppers

Seeds/Nuts: almond nut butter, hazelnuts

Protein: eggs, beef (strips, shank, & oxtail), chicken, turkey, smoked salmon, shrimp

Seasonings: rosemary, thyme, cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, sea salt, black pepper, sage, dill, fish sauce, basil, ginger, Frank's hot sauce, coconut aminos, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice

Fats: coconut oil (our household of adults & a baby has used almost an entire tub already), olive oil, ghee

The only new foods are the coconut aminos, fish sauce, and ghee (but I've had butter before of course). The foods that I'm eating WAY more of than usual are the eggs, coconut oil, and carrots.

Numbness in your thumbs is more likely a repetitive strain injury (compression of a nerve stops messages, which creates the numb feeling), see an osteopath as soon as you can and avoid using a computer mouse in that hand for awhile. If treated early it's quite easy to fix. There's special stretches. Vitamin B is also good for nerve repair.

Skin could be not enough Vitamin A (liver and sweet potatoes are good sources, consume with fats, it's fat soluble).

Archived