Medication-related Increased Appetite

I am beginning my Whole30 in a matter of days but am taking a necessary psychiatric prescription medication that I have already gained about 20 pounds on since February. The main issues I am experiencing in relation to this medication are an increased appetite and occasionally intense sweet cravings. 

Does anyone have similar experience with this type of problem? I am looking for advice on how to prevent and/or manage intense food cravings and hunger during my Whole30.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, marycatherinew said:

I am beginning my Whole30 in a matter of days but am taking a necessary psychiatric prescription medication that I have already gained about 20 pounds on since February. The main issues I am experiencing in relation to this medication are an increased appetite and occasionally intense sweet cravings. 

Does anyone have similar experience with this type of problem? I am looking for advice on how to prevent and/or manage intense food cravings and hunger during my Whole30.

I would strongly suggest you really get to know the template and make sure all your meals are composed accordingly including the plated fat. If you do this and compose your meals so they're reasonably getting you 4-5 hours between, it's much easier to identify hunger induced by meds and cravings. If you're skimping or relying too heavily on fruits and nuts and snacks type foods, it will be very hard to call out legitimate hunger... I speak from experience S I'm also on meds that for some time caused similar issues. If you're also working out, make sure you're eating the pre and post workout meals and at the very least, the post workout. 

The nice thing about Whole30 is that when you do it with the rules AND recommendations and you're eating a variety of foods, your body will be getting the nutrients it needs and that might help diminish the hunger you feel from the meds. 

The only thing to do about sugar cravings is to power through tho. Don't feed a craving fruit or nuts... If you MUST eat something make it something Britney and fatty like olives or a lime juice and salt doused avocado. 

21 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I would strongly suggest you really get to know the template and make sure all your meals are composed accordingly including the plated fat. If you do this and compose your meals so they're reasonably getting you 4-5 hours between, it's much easier to identify hunger induced by meds and cravings. If you're skimping or relying too heavily on fruits and nuts and snacks type foods, it will be very hard to call out legitimate hunger... I speak from experience S I'm also on meds that for some time caused similar issues. If you're also working out, make sure you're eating the pre and post workout meals and at the very least, the post workout. 

The nice thing about Whole30 is that when you do it with the rules AND recommendations and you're eating a variety of foods, your body will be getting the nutrients it needs and that might help diminish the hunger you feel from the meds. 

The only thing to do about sugar cravings is to power through tho. Don't feed a craving fruit or nuts... If you MUST eat something make it something Britney and fatty like olives or a lime juice and salt doused avocado. 

Thank you so much for the input! Skimping on meals and relying on fruits and nuts in between is pretty much exactly what I, historically, tend to do. I need to be mindful, then, of putting together meals that will sustain me for the time you suggested. It is good to hear from someone with experience that the Whole30 is feasible despite the obstacles that some medications can 'bring to the table'. I am currently eating a mediocre diet with a strong tendency towards baked goods/sweets and caffeine. I am so, so tired and hungry all the time, but I am also quite driven towards getting things turned around for the better. I am on one medication in particular that I honestly feel I would not need if my body were in better health and it is one of my primary goals to see how much better I can feel just by nurturing my body with the foods it needs.

I will keep your suggestions in mind and study up a bit more on the pre and post-workout meals as well, since I am gradually becoming more physically active. Thanks again!

Archived