Hello

amalloy

@amalloy Hello and welcome! Congrats on beginning this journey! I hope you love it as much as I did! 

Here are my words of advice:

• Understand the meal template. I'm surprised how many people undertake this journey not understanding the recommendation on how to structure your meals. If you aren't familiar with it, here it is: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
  • Ground yourself in your reason for doing this and remind yourself of your goals if you're having a rough patch. In particular, focus on the goals you have beyond weight loss, because that isn't the focus of the program and is frankly not the best part of the program anyway. 
  • Trust the process. Eating more fat to be healthy (and to lose weight) doesn't make any sense in today's world. But it has worked for thousands of people and it has worked for me! Stick to the rules and you'll experience some really great stuff! 
  • Always, always, always read labels. Learn what ingredients are and are not allowed, and make a habit of reading your own labels and doing your own research (hopefully you already understand that the Nutrition Panel and Ingredient List are not the same thing - Whole30 only cares about the Ingredient List). Don't just trust that something is "Whole30 Approved" just because some random blogger says it is. 
  • Check out Paleo Running Momma! She's my very favorite Whole30 food blogger and I love her recipes. My mostest favorite recipe is for her spinach artichoke twice baked potatoes. Here's a link to her blog: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/. Her Whole30 section is reliable but still always check for yourself! 

That was probably a lot! :-) I wish you the best though! Keep coming back here for any questions or support you need! 

I hope it's okay for me to jump in here. Like @amalloy, I'm only just starting the Whole30 (actually tomorrow). I appreciate the links you've shared @kirbz

I'm actually worried that I don't understand the Nutrition Panel & Ingredient List that you refer to in your 4th bullet. Any chance you could share specific links? I've read the book, but my head is swimming in a bit of concern that I'm not really understanding everything I'm supposed to avoid -- and what a waste this would be if I'm not doing it right!

Thank you for your help!

14 hours ago, CharlotteU said:

I hope it's okay for me to jump in here. Like @amalloy, I'm only just starting the Whole30 (actually tomorrow). I appreciate the links you've shared @kirbz

I'm actually worried that I don't understand the Nutrition Panel & Ingredient List that you refer to in your 4th bullet. Any chance you could share specific links? I've read the book, but my head is swimming in a bit of concern that I'm not really understanding everything I'm supposed to avoid -- and what a waste this would be if I'm not doing it right!

Thank you for your help!

What @kirbz meant was that you should ignore the nutrition panel (the list of macro/mirco nutrients with all the numbers beside them) and look only at the ingredients. If any of the ingredients aren't Whole 30 allowed, put the product down. If you look at the nutrition panel on a can of tomatoes, for example, it will say that it has xx grams of sugar per 100g - that makes people freak out and think they can't have that product because it has sugar. But, if you look at the ingredients list right below it will not (should not!) list any added sugar - the nutrition panel is referring to the naturally occuring sugars in tomatoes. So, ignore the numbers and just look at the ingredients.

If there's an ingredient you're not sure of, just google it + whole30 - there are a lot of really long scary sounding words that are actually just stabilisers and are perfectly legit. 

@amalloy Yes to what @GoJo09 said about Ingredient List versus Nutrition Panel. Lots of people get nervous when they see that something has 8 grams of sugar and wonder if they can have it. But Whole30 doesn't care much about that. You want to look at the list of ingredients to see if sugar, dextrose or some other variation of sugar is listed as an ingredient. 

In general, don't worry about how many grams of protein or sugar or calcium or anything else. Just focus on the list of ingredients!! 

Good luck! 

Archived