Need Help. I live in Thailand

MJdoes30

HI,

I'm living in Chiang Mai, Thailand and do not have access to any of the approved, pre-made items and I can't read the majority of labels because that are in Thai. Is there anyone on here who has done this in a foreign country? Asia??

• Moderators

Hopefully people with more experience will weigh in, but I know we've had people from Thailand do Whole30 before -- if you Google whole30 forum Thailand you should find previous discussions. Hopefully you can find some useful information that way.

As for premade stuff, even in the US it's only become readily available in the last few years, lots of people have done whole30s without using any premade stuff. Concentrate on the fresh vegetables and meats you can find, and if you find some convenience items that you like, think of it as a bonus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Check the 'Whole30 in Thailand' feed, but I lived in Northern Thailand for a stint and tried to do a similar diet, and my only advice would be to not try to get what we have here, but use what makes sense culturally.

Check your markets for local meats so that they're unprocessed - I found things like buffalo, and you can keep the fat and use it sparingly to cook. Lots of chicken and eggs, yucca in place of potatoes. I think its avocado season in Fang province, and you should be able to find avocados the size of your face that are like 5 for 30baht at roadside places or markets especially on the outskirts of Chaing Mai (I lived in San Sai). A lot of curries use coconut milk as a base, so that should be a good direction to check out as well! 

• 2 months later...

FYI: I'm reposting this from another forum.  I hope this helps.  

Hello,  I'm living in northern Thailand.  I've not tried Whole 30 in Thailand, but it's crossed my mind a couple of times.  (That's how I found this forum.)  I did Whole 30 about 4 years ago in the States.  So I'm not up on any new updates or changes to the plan. 

I believe the Whole 30 is doable, but challenging in Northern Thailand.  Between local markets, Mackro, Rimpings, Tesco Lotus, and Yok, you should be able to find most of what you need.  Ghee and other similar whole 30 items are quite expensive here.  However, I do believe you can get it cheaper on iHerb.  www.iHerb.com will ship to Thailand.  

You might also find some Whole 30 foods on https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/.  They are based in Bangkok and ship anywhere in Thailand.  They have a variety of nut butters. 

If you are in Chiang Mai and craving a salad, head to Oh ka ju.  I think I spelled that right.  It's the salad place.  There are 2 in town.  Anyway, you can create a salad for like 50 baht.  They have tons of options (even some whole 30 ones)!!  You would need to check out the dressings.  I know many are vegan, but not sure if they are whole 30.  But it would be a great way to give yourself a break from cooking at home! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sbthailand said:

FYI: I'm reposting this from another forum.  I hope this helps.  

Hello,  I'm living in northern Thailand.  I've not tried Whole 30 in Thailand, but it's crossed my mind a couple of times.  (That's how I found this forum.)  I did Whole 30 about 4 years ago in the States.  So I'm not up on any new updates or changes to the plan. 

I believe the Whole 30 is doable, but challenging in Northern Thailand.  Between local markets, Mackro, Rimpings, Tesco Lotus, and Yok, you should be able to find most of what you need.  Ghee and other similar whole 30 items are quite expensive here.  However, I do believe you can get it cheaper on iHerb.  www.iHerb.com will ship to Thailand.  

You might also find some Whole 30 foods on https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/.  They are based in Bangkok and ship anywhere in Thailand.  They have a variety of nut butters. 

If you are in Chiang Mai and craving a salad, head to Oh ka ju.  I think I spelled that right.  It's the salad place.  There are 2 in town.  Anyway, you can create a salad for like 50 baht.  They have tons of options (even some whole 30 ones)!!  You would need to check out the dressings.  I know many are vegan, but not sure if they are whole 30.  But it would be a great way to give yourself a break from cooking at home! 

Please don't cross post into multiple threads as per forum rules.  I've left both your post up but in future please no copy and pasting :)

Archived