Whole30+ Low Energy

Krista_B

Hello!! I started my Whole30 journey on May 14, 2018. I already ate pretty healthy, so my "transition" wasn't too hard. What I loved most about the first 30 days was getting myself into a routine that worked. Three meals a day, NO SNACKING (which was my #1 problem) and NO SWEETS (problem #2). I felt great... then I got my period. I was STARVING on my period, but maintained the 3 meals a day... and had a snack once or twice in that week. Today (6.26.18) I'm 9 days post period start, and I'm exhausted. I haven't felt this tired since being pregnant (which I'm not).  I actually took a nap when I got home from work yesterday... I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  I wake to feeling exhausted, and it carries through the day. I wanted to continue my Whole30 journey because I'm finding myself still wanting to go back to my comfort foods (chocolate and sweets), especially when I'm feeling like this. What am I doing wrong? Why the change?  Can someone help??

• Moderators

So, first off, in the week or so leading up to your period and maybe the first few days of it, it's normal to be more hungry than usual. Eat more. Bigger meals, extra meals, more starchy vegetables than usual. 

It's hard to say if that's all that's causing your tiredness now without knowing more about what you're eating, what kind of exercise youre doing, if any, how much sleep you're getting. Make sure you're having meals that meet at least the minimum template size -- it's okay to have more if you need it. Salt your food to taste. Drink at least 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh about 120 lbs, youd need at least 60 oz. If you aren't already, try having a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnip, beets, rutabagas, carrots, parsnips, or winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash). 

Archived