A Mess Off W30

RandiW

Hey friends - 

I've done 3 Rounds of W30, starting with my first in Jan of 2017. After the first one, I ate W30 compliant most of the time. I was riding my bike, basically following FFF and feeling really good. We went on vacation in Oct '17 and I just ate whatever. I had a rough end of the year struggling with sugar and eating things for the sake of eating them. I did another W30 in Jan '18 and one in Mid May-Mid June '18 and I have not been able to stop myself from basically binging on sugar and non-compliant foods the second I finish the W30. I'm fine while on it, but then it feels like a free-for-all when I'm off. 

Maybe I need to do a longer W30? But I'm not sure I can manage it. Or maybe I don't want to manage it? I'm 100 days out from my wedding today and I'm pledging a 100 days of no sugar. I very rarely eat grains and when I do it's usually rice. I almost never eat cheese/dairy anymore. I'm hoping this 100 days of a non-whole 30 can help kick the sugar cravings. Anyone else struggle with this and come to any kind of conclusion about handling it?

I am the same way. I do very good with structure and rules given to me by someone else but I am having trouble following my own. I was considering doing a longer W30 but I fear I will still have the same issues. Hopefully someone that has been successful at getting past this will chime in

@RandiW, we sound very similar....so I'll share my thoughts and experience.

I'm generalizing here....so please accept my simplified explanation of "addiction".

For me...sugary treats and processed grain products are an "addiction" much like alcohol or drugs for other people.  An alcoholic or drug addict may not be capable of moderation...therefore, complete avoidance is the best option for them.  When I have tried to have sweets or processed grain products in moderation it almost always leads to adding in more and more until it has become a daily habit.  Sometimes it has sneaked up on me and other times leads to a one-time binge that then leads to weeks of feeling crappy.  Consumption of these types of things makes me feel "funky"...for me it's a combination of depression, low self esteem, less patience, and easily annoyed.  

What has worked for me in the past is eating Whole30ish, plus rice, legumes, added sugar in salad dressings and sausages, but NO treats or processed grain products unless it's a REALLY special occasion and/or the item is REALLY special.  I need to remind myself that Nothing Bundt Cakes ARE. NOT. SPECIAL. (anymore:P)

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the response, @snowflower. I'm in recovery myself, so I certainly understand the abstinence mindset.  The 100 days no sugar is going ok so far. I'm not ready to make a life-long practice. I actually think I struggle more with coming off W30 than just being without sugar. I think I go into a deprivation mind-set with W30 and then eat to overcompensate when it ends. When I'm less drastic, I can avoid sugar without as much difficulty. We'll see where things go from here. I was planning on doing W30-compliant only from the day after my bridal shower (aug 12th) through the wedding (oct 7th). Though now I'm wondering I should just stay where I'm at now. 

Archived