How long can negative effects with reintro last?

CharityC

I have been very strict on my whole 30. I am attempting to see if a pain I've had in my side for over 2 yrs now could be food related. The pain was GONE the last week of whole 30 and you can only imagine how excited i was! Then i reintroduced black beans one evening and peanut butter the next day. I felt bloated but no side pain the first night. Then within minutes of trying pb, my side pain immediately but slowly came back. The trouble is, that was 8 days ago now and today is the first day that I've felt mostly better. It's still not 100 percent gone but lots better. Could the beans or peanut butter cause a reaction that takes a week or more to get through? Or should that have ended a lot sooner if it was from one of those foods? Anyone have similar experience? Thanks in advance!

It's awesome that your pain was alleviated during your Whole30! I am surprised that your reaction lasted that long because a week is more than enough time for the legumes to get through your system. However, I can relate it to my mom's experience. She had a knee injury the pain of which was exacerbated by wheat consumption. When that acted up after eating wheat, it took a while to settle down. That sort of makes sense because the pain was due to a combination of injury (no food component) and inflammation (in part mediated by food). Maybe this is the case for you too. Do you have any idea what may be causing the pain, or have you discussed it with your doctor? Even though food can impact pain, food may not be enough to cure an underlying issue. I guess it also depends on the severity of your pain. If it's not too bad, you could try reintroing legumes again to see if they really were the cause or if something else triggered your pain (personally, I love to have at least two data points for these things just to be sure). However, if your pain was severe or debilitating, you may want to visit your doctor before proceeding.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 31, added cheddar to eggs and seemed to have small heartburn.

Day 32, I had cottage cheese at lunch, seems to be causing discomfort. NOT happy about cheese possibly being a problem!

Still horribly depressed and crying but I think the goo in the mornings is helping. I have lots of acne all of a sudden. Made the mistake of weighing myself and didn’t lose an ounce. Wasn’t trying to but after everything I read, I was disappointed.

I posted the above in the  wrong forum since I’m now post W30.  

Today is Day 34 and the depression is alleviating more and I’m still almost 100% W30. I did have a couple cream cheese filled bacon wrapped jalapeños and it was delish! Even these boring foods I have choked down for 30 days is starting to finally taste good. So I’m not sure why my W30 Day by Day book...I was following the similar experiences up until about day 18, then it wasn’t typical.

still incredibly tired and run out of gas easily. I just don’t know what my body is needing.

@CharityC, I hope you find the correlation with your side pain! My aches and pains did alleviate somewhat and some digestive problems. Please don’t let it be cheese for me! Lol!

Archived