Gluten free grains

Kristen F

I completed whole30 reintroduction with no clear triggers. I stayed on diet 2 more months and now am reintroducing each group for up to  2 weeks. I just completed a week of gluten free grains and have been gassy, have had 2 painful gas attacks and am more bloated than usual.  My question is, assuming non-gluten grains are a trigger, is it possible that I may tolerate gluten? Or should I not even bother reintroducing that again?  

• Moderators

It would depend on what exactly you're reacting to in the non-gluten grains. There are proteins similar to gluten in other grains, and my understanding is that if you're sensitive to those you may be sensitive to gluten as well. 

However, depending on what grains you had, it might just be something about that particular grain. For instance, brown rice can cause gas and bloating in some people, even when white rice doesn't, because of the hull being left on the brown rice but being removed on the white rice.

So really I guess I'm saying there's not really any way to know without trying. Sorry that's not more helpful.

Shannon, thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Of course I had a variety, but GF oatmeal seemed to time the most with the symptoms. At least I know to try the gluten!  Do you have any advice on how to introduce the gluten? (I.e.: what foods, in what order? Should I wait a day between gluten containing items?) thanks again!

• Moderators

For what to try, just find something with no other non-whole30 ingredients. So you're unlikely to find cake or cookies that would work, even bread can be hard to find. If you like cream of wheat, that might work, or something like Shredded Wheat cereal. Or pasta. 

As for timing, that's up to you. I'd probably plan for one day and see how you feel. If you feel bad after one day, or even after one meal, you may not want to do more than that.

Archived