Pre-post workout meals

Teejayyy

Hello,

I know Melissa recommends eating pre-post workout meals and they aren't additional meals. But my question is I work-out twice a day 4 days a week. I schedule those around lunch and dinner so at least one of pre/post workout will be lunch and dinner. Am I eating too much? 

• Moderators

You would more than likely not be eating enough if you combine pre and post workouts with other meals. You should eat three meals a day, plus the pre and post workout foods in addition to those three meals. 

Pre workout is most important if you are working out first thing in the morning before breakfast, or several hours after a meal. Have a few bites of protein and fat. A hard boiled egg with a little mayo, for instance. If you've eaten within a few hours of your workout, you may not need a pre workout meal.

Post workout, within 15 minutes or so of the end of your workout, have some protein and maybe some starchy vegetables. Just a couple of bites of each. Chicken and sweet potato would work well, but any protein and starchy veggie combo is fine. Here is an article with more about why post workout food is important:  http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/ 

Depending on what your workouts consist of, you may need pre and post wo meals after both or only after one. If one tends to be not as strenuous, like a gentle yoga class for instance, you may be fine not having the post wo. 

Archived