Should I Start Today??

I was slated to begin my second Whole30 of 2018 today. However, the person I was starting with isn't feeling well and can't prepare for the change until they're feeling better. Everyone keeps telling me to wait until 8/1, since it'll be easier to track. I'm torn. Part of me wants to just stick to it and stay with the original plan, but another part of me isn't mentally there yet and can see the benefits of waiting until the first, one being the tracking, but another being that I'll be able to mentally prepare better. 

This isn't written well, so don't judge me- I can barely think today! 

• Moderators

How about 'practicing' until you and your friend start?  Start practicing meal prep and template meals and figuring out your own perfect plate that gets you 4-5 hours between meals?  Maybe you still use ketchup with sugar and don't worry too much about oils etc... but remove the big dogs like dairy, wheat, grains etc... then when you start, the transition will be easier, you'll have some practice and be in a better position to totally rock it... 

@SugarcubeOD this is a FANTASTIC idea. Thank you! I actually love this. There are kolaches in the office today and I'm trying to avoid them. If I'm doing a practice run, I can avoid them without telling myself 'oh you CAN'T have them' (which will of course make me want them lol). 

I have an alternate opinion. Don't rely on your friend. You two can do it at the same time (or overlap most of it), but don't make when you're ready based off when this person is ready. That leads to needing the other person to succeed so you can succeed. You have to do this for you, so if your person isn't starting on the day you agreed to, it doesn't mean you have to delay. It just means they start a little later. 

It sounds like you were ready to start, but then life gave you an excuse that your cravings latched on to. And, no, it isn't somehow easier to track if you start on the first. That's just another excuse to keep eating the things your primal brain doesn't want to give up. 

@CaseyD Whoops- sorry I was unclear! My friend was actually wanting to rely on me haha. I felt bad "leaving them in the dust." It'll be their first and they were concerned that they would stray if we weren't taking each step together. I went ahead and started (today's Day 5!) and he's still going to begin on Wednesday. I told him I'd be in the reintro period anyways so I'd be right there with him. And yeah- I totally see what you're saying. Luckily I was paleo before this so I get "cravings," just not really that bad. Thanks so much for your support! 

Archived