multi-vitamins and the organic rule of thumb

Chelsea Elizabeth

I am on day one of my whole30 lifestyle change, and my co-conspirator and I are running into a few hiccups for what is and is not acceptable in a couple of arenas...

1. I researched and found a multi-vitamin that is corn, milk, soy, salt, sugar, wheat, yeast, artificial flavor, and preservative free by Emerald Laboratories. After careful review of the label, it contains the following questionable items: "raw whole food sprout powders: alfalfa, quinoa, mung bean, millet, and broccli."

The quinoa and mung bean were in sprout form when incorporated into this supplement. does that make it acceptable?

2. Must everything you consume be organic? Or is it just the meat?

Mod help appreciated!!! Happy new year!!!

Your multi's out as well. You really shouldn't need a multi while eating this way, ftr. It's nutrient dense and should cover your bases pretty well with the exception of K2, D3, Iodine and Magnesium, which the paleo diet (and the SAD diet, for that matter) is pretty light on. Most multis don't have those 4 in them anyway.

you don't HAVE to eat organic ANYTHING, but your food sources are important. That doesn't mean that it needs to be "certified organic," just be mindful of where it's coming from, and how it was treated. Protein sourcing is most important, followed by fruits and veggies. Do as much (or as little) as your budget allows. If you can't afford grassfed, pastured beef that's OKAY. Just get the leanest cuts of conventional meat that you can.

If you can't afford wild-caught salmon every week, try to pick a species that's sustainably caught, etc.

Archived