Morning struggle

SLW11011

I’m really struggling in the mornings with my first meal. I used to either not eat, or ate something sweet/dairy like yogurt or a carb like toast or a muffin. I know the recommendation of not thinking about it as breakfast, and the meal template. I’m just having trouble eating veggies and especially protein early in the morning. Mornings are busy, so I’ve tried leftovers. But I’m having issues trying to force myself to eat chicken, eggs, etc that early. It makes my stomach hurt and I feel like I’m going to be sick eating savory that early! I know I was eating badly before, that’s why I’m making changes. But does this part get easier? I’ve never been able to eat a large meal in early morning! It’s just repulsive to me for some reason!

• Moderators

It will get easier.

Maybe try something like a sweet potato hash, or even just a baked sweet potato mixed with breakfast sausage or ground beef. Or a soup, like a sweet potato or or butternut squash soup, with whatever meat you have on hand shredded or diced and mixed into it. These would have a bit of sweetness, but are still template based meals.

Also, try to eat some part of your meal, as much as you can, within an hour of waking up, but if you have to set part aside and come back to it in a little while to let your stomach settle a bit, that's ok. It should get easier to eat a little more first thing over time.

When I first started fiddling around with Whole30, I felt the same way. I would honestly feel nauseous at the thought of even eating that quickly after waking up at all, and even more so when I would think about eating leafy greens or chicken. I would quite literally gag as I was eating foods early in the morning.

It does get easier. I still struggle a bit in the mornings, but mostly due to timing (I'd rather sleep in that eat). I rarely feel nauseous and leftover BBQ chicken and steamed vegetables is even occasionally downright appealing in the mornings now! 

My favorite breakfast is basically hashbrowns and eggs. I spiralize 1/2 sweet potato and 1/2 russet potato, cook it up in ghee with salt, pepper, and a garlic/onion seasoning). I think cook three eggs over-easy and plop those on top! 

All I can say is, it does get easier. Hang in there and keep trying every morning! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I’m doing my first whole30 and am currently on day 5 I’m also really struggling with mornings I’ve been having eggs with some sweet potato hash and some fruit but I am getting really sick after eating it and I am struggling to walk to work due to lack of energy and nausea (which doesn’t go away until about 10am). Should I be trying to eat more for breakfast or change up what I’m eating? 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Bronte said:

Hi, 

I’m doing my first whole30 and am currently on day 5 I’m also really struggling with mornings I’ve been having eggs with some sweet potato hash and some fruit but I am getting really sick after eating it and I am struggling to walk to work due to lack of energy and nausea (which doesn’t go away until about 10am). Should I be trying to eat more for breakfast or change up what I’m eating? 

If eggs are your only protein, you should have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4 -- if you're doing that, and having a cup or more of the sweet potato hash, you're probably okay as far as amount. It wouldn't hurt to try something different for breakfast though -- I like eggs, but some mornings they just don't sound good at all, and if you're not used to eating them or you don't really care for them, I'm sure it's even worse. 

Maybe make up a pot of a chicken and vegetable soup, like this one: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2014/08/17/healing-chicken-soup-paleo-whole30/ -- it would be warm and comforting and get your protein and vegetables in, you can add hunks of avocado to it for fat, and the ginger may help with the nausea. Or a butternut squash soup like this one (you'd need to add some protein, but you could easily add diced chicken or cooked ground beef or even diced premade sausages to each serving): https://www.evolvingtable.com/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-coconut-milk/.  Or have leftovers from the night before for an easy option. 

In general, be sure you're eating enough at the rest of your meals, that you're drinking plenty of water (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz), and salt your food. 

Archived