W30 and high cholesterol?

So I am on day 8 and am really proud of the past week's progress in the kitchen, I feel great and am starting to see sustained energy levels throughout the day. I am however curious about one thing. My cholesterol is slightly high around 240 total.

My staples have been 90/10 Grassfed beef, and free range eggs. Now the Doc's always said red meat red meat no no no, Obviously there is some cholesterol in eggs too. Now that being said do I need to be eating more whites and less "whole" eggs and find a new staple meat other than beef? I want my cholesterol to go down with all these positive changes, not up :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Josh

NO! Eat the whole eggs!!!

I could launch into a big explanation of how and why it doesn't matter, but Dr. Peter Attia and Chris Masterjohn have both done better jobs than I would do. Google will get you to their blogs

In short, the cholesterol synthesis process is EXTREMELY regulated by the body, with positive and negative feedback loops. Your body can create its own cholesterol if it isn't getting enough from your diet. Your 3-5 eggs a day and your beef is a drop in the bucket to what is stored in your body at any given time. It's like spitting in a pool and worrying that it's going to overflow.

Eat the eggs, trust the program.

Are you overweight/have a lot of fat to lose? Your cholesterol may spike a little right after the W30, because your liver is unloading a bunch of particles into your bloodstreem, but give it ~3months after your weight has stabilized to retest. (And have it all DIRECTLY MEASURED, not calculated, which is standard) :)

• Moderators

My cholesterol dropped sharply when I started eating the Whole30 way. I don't know how soon after I started, but my numbers improved a lot by the time of my next annual blood work. And I was eating about 28 whole eggs per week and plenty of red meat.

In addition to Dr. Peter Attia and Chris Masterjohn, I follow http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/ for his cholesterol and other insights.

^^^ ahhh fantastic, just the insight I was looking for guys thank you very much. Gosh I love this forum :) Day 8 whoop whoop and i'm feeling great. I dont know how much is placebo, but the sustained energy levels alone are amazing.

Archived