Thinking of going cold-turkey W30 during the holidays-

peak

Completed my first W30 earlier this year with great results which actually stretched into a W45-ish period.  Have only reintroduced a few no-no's since then with little side effects.     Am staying away from sugar and limiting my grains as the new regular eating plan.      Have shed 45 pounds and several inches from just diet alone in a little over 6 months.    I know that weight loss is not the primary goal of the Plan, but I still have a bit of a gut that really needs to go.

Whole 30 is one of the easiest things I have ever done.      If eating good food is all it takes, then it really is no effort at all.     Right now I do dabble in good wines and whiskeys (no more beer.)  Any bread that I eat is gluten-free and I have had pizza only once and now consider it a treat.     I do miss my pasta dishes, but it is easy to get over it with a rib eye.    I have cut out all deserts and processed sugar and do not miss those calories.      I do tend to eat more fruit than what is recommended but my diet now maintains my weight fairly consistent.

If (and when I do my next W30) it will be for weight loss reasons.  Holidays bring on all the various parties and gatherings.      Saying no to alcohol is easy, but I do not want to impose on any hosts by requesting special dishes, so I think the most difficult part would be the selective eating of what might be available.

I am thinking that going into a W30 program during the holidays on purpose would be a good test of will-power and good choices.      Has anyone done anything similar or should I adjust my thinking and schedule? 

-frank.

• Moderators

Hey Frank!

First, I loved the comment about how missing pasta was easy to get over with a ribeye!  Ain't that the truth! 

I see where you're coming from in wanting to do Whole30 over the holidays so that there are 'others imposed rules' on what you can and can't eat so that you have a reason to decline things you don't want to eat.  But what if you stood in the power of what you're doing and what YOU want to eat and not eat and let that be enough?  What if you used the time to practice your own food freedom - decline that bread at dinner with a smile on your face and an 'Oh, I'm good, thanks' or whatever phrase comes naturally to you that feels genuine.  Sometimes I think that we think people notice what we eat and don't eat as much as what we notice of ourselves and honestly, if you're gracious and kind when you decline an item you aren't willing to eat, people move on... 

If you were going to do the Whole30, you really have to be committed to it over the holidays... there's no Whole30+... If you don't think you can decline every item including butter in the mashed potatoes and ask all the questions, don't do a Whole30...

I think you CAN do one if you wanted to but I also think you're strong enough from what I've read of your posts here that you can create your own plan for the holidays and stick to it and come out in January feeling empowered that you used your own rules and feelings to get through the holidays without falling face first into everything that was offered to you just because you're not on a Whole30.

We can definitely help you make a plan... there are posts I recall where people put their own 'rules' around holidays such as 'one glass of wine at each party is acceptable - wine when I'm sitting at home by myself is not'.  Or, my fave, 'no alcohol at parties but a glass of wine on Friday night sitting in the dark staring at the Christmas tree is a-ok'.  Decide what's important to you as far as the spirit of the holidays, how you know food makes you feel and what you want to achieve at this festive time and set a playbook.

Forgive me if I"ve overstepped and misunderstood what it was you were looking for advice wise - always here to chat it out and help you figure out what you want to do and of course whatever you decide, we'll all support you!

• 6 months later...

Succeeded, stumbled and fell,  getting right with myself again...

A few months have passed since dropping by the forums.  In following up directly to my posted topic here, I did not do another W30 over the holidays.  Not exclusively because of the ever-present sugary treats and everything associated with it  but moreover the stress of work heading towards year’s end and the winter season in general.    Yes, It might have been tough to do.  And the advice of doing it righteously within The Rules would need to be the requirement for the full intent of what I was setting for myself- I took that advice seriously.    It has been just a little over a year since first attempt of the Whole 30.     I feel that I experienced dramatic and positive results as noted in previous posts.    Since that success, I have stumbled and fell, but am getting back up on that “Whole" horse saddle again.

In terms of work, winter months are some of the most demanding.   Projects that are on-the-boards need to be mostly completed before winter’s end in time for spring ground-breakings.  It makes for long-hour, six-day weeks.   Add to this the extended winter season in my region, the short days and cold temperatures tend to keep me indoors more than normal.    Even though we are half-way into April there are minimal signs of spring in my location, I still see temperatures at or below zero over night.  Technically I guess it is still winter here as I have not seen any bears waking from hibernation yet-  too much snow to allow for foraging;  there still are several feet in my yard.  In spite of all that I am feeling "spring" inside me and I think that is due to longer and earlier sunshine days.

I indulged and enjoyed the verboten vices.  I chose to dabble in the delectable deliciousness of decadent deserts in the Holiday duration. I did not notice much ill effects of consciously consuming contraband confections.  But the indulgences did ad to my waistline.    I managed to return 20 of the almost 45  pounds that I dropped last year.    But I was OK with that because it was a real wake-up call of how letting go too much can have an impact- I especially felt it when cinching the belt.    I will take the over-enjoyment as a learning experience.   I do not want to yo-yo the weight and nutrition as a rule or habit, but experiencing what stepping-out can do is acknowledged!  I need to be more sensible with my caloric intake.

About 6 weeks ago I began again to consciously be selective.  While not strictly doing W30,  sugars are no longer considered.   Grains and breads are reduced down to 1 or 2 time a week.    Alcohol is down to weekend moderation in lieu of regular enjoyment.    Without any extreme extraneous deprivation, the minimal “semi-better” choices has shed 10 pounds.  Even though this is encouraging, it is not an excuse to not eat better.

The up/ down cycle of the past year was a great self-learning experience with perhaps the best take-away being the need for being more aware of approaching winters in conjunction a respectable diet.  I know I have willpower to say no to treats.  I chose not to exercise that option and experienced the effects.  I can and need to be better so as to live up to my self-imposed  username

Archived