Herbal Tea Compliance Question-Abrus Fruticulosus Herb

Pinewriter

I've been feeling under the weather so I purchased Triple Leaf Tea's Cold & Flu Time Tea and I'm concerned about some of the ingredients. Most seem fine although I'm not sure about "Abrus Fruticulosus Herb," which according to Wikipedia is a legume.

I'm also unsure if honeysuckle flower is okay but I think licorice root is okay. Any insight would be appreciated!

Here are the full ingredients:

Honeysuckle flower  
Ginger root  
Astragalus root  
Dandelion root, herb  
Kudzu (pueraria) root  
White mulberry leaf, root  
Chinese mint leaf  
Lophatherum leaf  
Abrus fruticulosus herb  
Imperata (cogongrass) rhizome  
Siler (fang feng) root  
Isatis root  
Uncaria (gambir) stem  
Licorice root  

• Moderators

The part of legumes that is not allowed is the seed, and since what I'm reading says the seed of the Abrus fruticulosus herb is poisonous, I'm assuming that's not what they're using -- they're probably using the root or the leaves, and those are fine. (Read more about Whole30's stance on legumes here: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/.) 

Licorice root and honeysuckle flower should both be okay too. 

24 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

The part of legumes that is not allowed is the seed, and since what I'm reading says the seed of the Abrus fruticulosus herb is poisonous, I'm assuming that's not what they're using -- they're probably using the root or the leaves, and those are fine. (Read more about Whole30's stance on legumes here: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/.) 

Licorice root and honeysuckle flower should both be okay too. 

Thank you so much Shannon! I figured I was overthinking it but I'm on day 29 so I'd hate to mess up now!

Archived