Living in Australia

D Russell

I have moved from the US to Sydney, Australia, and am finding it hard to buy Whole30 compliant products. (ie bacon, deli meat etc)  Any one else have this problem, or a suggestion as how to navigate around it?  Thanks!

I'm new to Whole30.  On day 6 and so happy to be following a new and healthy path - just for me!

• Moderators

Hi! We have several people around the forums from Australia I think -- I know we have had in the past. If you google Whole30 Australia, you should find past discussions, but here's a big one full of shopping tips that might be helpful:  

It started a few years ago, so some of the earlier posts may be less relevant now, but it continued on even into this year, so hopefully some of it is helpful.

• 1 month later...

Hi D Russell,  I also have this problem living on the Central Coast of NSW (just north of Sydney).  Nitrate free bacon and ham which I discovered at a butcher at Lisarow Plaza and Coastwide meats at West Gosford.  Mostly I have found word of mouth is the best, I just ask people or Google and I usually get an answer.  If in the Crows Nest area there is 5 Star Gourmet.  I even found Whole30 compliant food in Totnes, Devon (UK) last May, I just asked, however, couldn't find any nitrate free bacon, they looked at me like I was crazy!  Hope this is helpful.  Jingalong

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jingalong said:

Nitrate free bacon and ham

Nitrates/nitrites are actually not off limits for Whole30. The thing that usually keeps most bacon and ham from being okay on Whole30 is sugar, at least in the US, though that may be different in different countries -- we seem to add sugar to everything here, even things that don't seem like they'd need it. You can certainly choose to avoid nitrates/nitrites if you want to, but Whole30 doesn't say anything about them either way.

The additives that are not allowed are listed in the rules: https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/, and there is also the Sneaky Sugar guide and the Common Additives Cheat sheet that address some other items you might see on labels, and both of those are available here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Archived