Maybe I'll Get Through This Time

Lissa Kristine

I've been here before, but I've never successfully completed a Whole30. I don't want to make excuses for myself, but there were a lot of issues I needed to work out to mentally prepare myself for this journey.

So, a little background: I am 27, unemployed, with multiple mental health disorders including 3 anxiety-related disorders. I am currently on my own version of "Weight Watchers" where I allow myself more freedom to enjoy healthy fats (like olives and avocados). I've only recently rejoined WW and, while I do enjoy their online community and the meetings, I am on a personal journey to experience more freedom surrounding food. I want to be able to enjoy "junk food" without it consuming me, and I would love to find a balance where I can acheive and maintain a healthy weight without needing to measure/track everything I eat. I have made a lot of progress in that area, but I'm still not there. I am wondering if a Whole30 will help me on this journey. (I also loosely practice an intermittent fasting lifestyle- primarily a 10 hour window with 14 hours of fasting).

I do not have any food allergies or food restrictions save for a severe sensitivity to 0 calorie sweeteners (to the point where I don't even use a sweetened toothpaste). Fortunately, this will NOT be an issue on Whole30.

However, I actually started looking into this program again for my mother. She will be turning 55 this month and works third shift (overnights) at a convienience store. She has been suffering from a lot of stomach issues that she feels may be related to the food she's eating, but she has not been able to properly identify which foods are causing the issue. She does suspect soy, gluten, and dairy may be culprits. I suggested that she look into doing a Whole30 and then use the reintroduction process to help identify problematic foods. In addition to seeing if those foods are problematic, she also suspects she may have an issue with eggs. Her possible plan is to include as an extra step in the reintroduction phase so she can see if the eggs really are problematic.

So, we both have different motivations for wanting to do the program. 

We are looking at starting in early February. I, personally, am probably going to go an extra 5 days to make it a Whole35. I prefer to set goals/challenges on a weekly basis; even throughout my journey, I may set goals like:

• Find a new vegetable to cook this week
  • Find a new recipe that uses chicken this week
  • Switch the fat used to cook this recipe from coconut oil to lard and see how you like it

They're just fun ways to keep me motivated. I really don't like 30 day plans becuase I like to think on a Sunday-Saturday basis rather than a monthly one. I know the timeline specifically addresses that 28 days is not as good as 30, so I don't want to do this for 4 weeks and only hit 28 days. Instead, I figured I'll do 5 weeks for a Whole35.

I will say that one of my biggest gripes that I'm going to be facing is the whole "no pancake" rules. Look, I get the logic behind the rule, but I don't care what it looks like. Mashed egg and banana with or without Nutzo Nut butter (or single ingredient almond butter) does not properly replicate a stack of Kodiak Cake pancakes with pure maple syrup. For me, it's more of another option to use eggs and overripe bananas. I guess I'll live without them (they're really only an occasional meal anyway), but I still consider them more of an "omelette" and less of a "pancake." (especially since I often prepare them like an omelette with fruit inside).

On 1/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, Lissa Kristine said:
  • Find a new vegetable to cook this week
  • Find a new recipe that uses chicken this week
  •  Switch the fat used to cook this recipe from coconut oil to lard and see how you like it

That sounds interesting, I hadn't thought of breaking it down weekly like that.  I have tried this reset before as well and made it as far as day 21.  I'm currently on day 5 and it seems like it has been forever.  I think my brain is trying to trick me into thinking it's almost over so why not go ahead and indulge.  I am relying heavily on the Whole30 Day By Day daily guide on this go-round.  

Good luck to you both.

1 hour ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

That sounds interesting, I hadn't thought of breaking it down weekly like that.  I have tried this reset before as well and made it as far as day 21.  I'm currently on day 5 and it seems like it has been forever.  I think my brain is trying to trick me into thinking it's almost over so why not go ahead and indulge.  I am relying heavily on the Whole30 Day By Day daily guide on this go-round.  

Good luck to you both.

My record was 5.5 days.

At the time, I was working at a daycare center. On day 6, we had an open house event where I was put in charge of making cotton candy. So, I'm somewhere in between the "Kill all the Things" and the "I just want a nap stage" of the program as I am in a room with little bits of sugar floating around my head. 

This was back in 2012 and I still haven't been able to get through. My most recent attempt lasted a day before I realized that I just wasn't ready. 

Fortunately,  finding compliant groceries is a LOT easier now. In 2012, I had to order my mayonaise online. Now, Primal Kitchen mayo is sold at my local grocery store (and we're talking a NORMAL grocery store- not a specialty store). (I've never tried making my own mayo. To be honest, I've never been a fan of the stuff, but I'll use it to make deviled eggs. Primal Kitchen mayo is the only stuff that doesn't make me gag when I open the jar).

My mom and I have decided on January 27 as our start date which means we'll be doing it from January 27 to March 2 [at least I will since I want to start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday]. I'm not sure what kind of reintroduction I want to do, but I feel like slow-roll will probably be more of my style since I want to learn to eat more intuitively and forcing myself to eat food based on a reintroduction schedule seems to contradict that. My mom, on the other hand, may do better to follow the classic reintroduction schedule since she's looking to identify which foods are causing her issues. 

One of the things I've been doing is looking at different restaurants and seeing what my options will be. I've come up with a plan for Smashburger (my mom has a Smash pass so she can get a free burger or salad every day) and Chipotle. I even have a plan for Starbucks. (Which is to go to a place like Smashburger or Chipotle or even the local grocery store to pick up food and then just get an iced tea at Starbucks haha.)

I like to come up with a list of "What if's?" 

• What if we go out for Sushi? (I'm currently searching for compliant wasabi; I've already emailed the sushi place to ask about riceless rolls).
  • What if I have a last-minute babysitting job and don't have a chance to cook dinner to bring with me before going? [Quick grocery sore trip to grab frozen veggies, chicken apple sausages, and some olives or an avocado dependng on what looks good. I can throw together a quick, compliant meal using those ingredients plus a few pantry staples from the house I'm babysitting at. While not ideal, I can even just heat everything in the microwave if using a stove/oven isn't an option].
  • What if the parents tell me to take the kids out for dinner? (I'm working at coming up for a plan for IHOP and Applebee's so I know what to order before going). 

You are really thinking it thru.  My companion and I don't go out to eat, but we do have take-out several times a week.  He is not even considering doing a Whole30.  I told him not to bring me anything from Sonic (which I don't care for anyway), and if he really really needed fried fish I would get some for him only. But I also asked him to try to not really really need any 'cuz I love fried shrimp too.  So we'll see how it goes.

I'm 54 and run my own business.  Lunch is always an at-my-desk meal.  I love having complete-meal soups I can eat out of a bowl.  Makes things much easier for me.  Dinner can be a challenge, Whole30 or not.  He likes his food plain and simple, meat and potatoes like.  I prefer fish and trying new recipes.  I usually make compliant meals for dinner, adding rice or beans to his meal if needed.  

I can't stand mayo either.  It has to be mixed into something really well for me to be able to handle it.  So 1-2 tablespoons mixed in a can of tuna or chicken for a quick protein is good for me, especially if I add a small amount of compliant mustard to disguise it even more.

4 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

You are really thinking it thru.  My companion and I don't go out to eat, but we do have take-out several times a week.  He is not even considering doing a Whole30.  I told him not to bring me anything from Sonic (which I don't care for anyway), and if he really really needed fried fish I would get some for him only. But I also asked him to try to not really really need any 'cuz I love fried shrimp too.  So we'll see how it goes.

I'm 54 and run my own business.  Lunch is always an at-my-desk meal.  I love having complete-meal soups I can eat out of a bowl.  Makes things much easier for me.  Dinner can be a challenge, Whole30 or not.  He likes his food plain and simple, meat and potatoes like.  I prefer fish and trying new recipes.  I usually make compliant meals for dinner, adding rice or beans to his meal if needed.  

I can't stand mayo either.  It has to be mixed into something really well for me to be able to handle it.  So 1-2 tablespoons mixed in a can of tuna or chicken for a quick protein is good for me, especially if I add a small amount of compliant mustard to disguise it even more.

I eat out more than I should- mostly fast food type places. My mom works overnights, so at 2:30pm, we're often at a fast food restaurant picking up something (after picking my sister up from work). I'm definitely going to work on NOT eating out, but I'm also saving my 2 free Chipotle meals for those days when I just need a break from cooking or plans change. Maybe I have a last-minute afternoon babysitting job and the PLAN is to go home afterwards and eat dinner, but then I get invited over for pizza and game night at another friend's house. That might be when I'll pick up a salad at Chipotle. 

One of my biggest challenges is going to be eating first thing in the morning. I don't snack much, but I've gotten into the habit of skipping breakfast or eating my meals really late. Breakfast at 10 or 11, lunch at 3 or 4, etc. It's not that I'm not hungry in the morning; I just don't feel like getting out of bed to get food haha. 

The other challenge will be resisting the temptation to look at my weight at my Weight Watchers meetings. I rejoined before I decided I wanted to do this, and I can't cancel m membership without paying a penalty fee (plus I like the online community and meetings). I still plan on weighing in every week, but I'm going to tell them that I'm taking a 5 week break from the scale so I don't want to know anything. Hopefully they won't slip up and give me any reward charms (for 5 pounds lost, etc). (Of course, I'm speaking under the assumption that they won't let me get away with skipping the weigh in for a few weeks).

Good Monday to you.  I am "unplugged" on the weekends trying to recharge my batteries.

This one is worth getting up for https://www.stephgaudreau.com/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/.

Some days I make https://boysahoy.com/whole30-slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chili-recipe/.  This one usually gives me several days worth for breakfast.

Or a couple of boiled eggs and a cup of https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ is great too.  All of this can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for easy eating.  If the eggs are deviled then you already have your fat.  If not, drizzle the soup with a mild flavored oil.

None of your meals has to be anything elaborate.  Just make sure to have all three things in it.  Palm-sized amount of protein, 1-2 tablespoons fat, and all the veggies you can eat.

1 hour ago, megbeveridge said:

Something that has helped me with breakfast for the past few days is compliant bacon! The smell could wake me from death and get me moving again. Is there anything like that you could keep in the house to encourage yourself to make breakfast? 

Honestly, I'm  just going to have to get over it. I mean, I usually do eat breakfast at some point, but I'm also known to sit in bed for an hour or two. It's one of the hazards of unemployment. 

It's really more laziness than anything else. I know that there will be days that I'm going to eat a little later than what's "ideal." Sundays, for example, I usually get up around 7, but don't eat until closer to 9- after showering, getting dressed, and going to my WW meeting (I'm still attending the meetings and I like my routine of weighing in and then eating breakfast; I'm either going to skip the weigh in part or just weigh in and tell them that I don't want to know my results).

Archived