Red Wine Vinegar but no Vanilla Extract????

plantsower

I am a little confused.   I thought that the alcohol in vanilla extract completely dissipated when heated like in baking something.  Am I wrong?

On the other hand red wine vinegar is allowed and may be in salad dressing and not cooked, but there is alcohol in it.   I didn't think about the sulfites but read that some red wine vinegars have them.  I was planning on making  my own with red wine and vinegar but I don't know that the wine bottle admits to sulfites.   

Thanks for the help.   Love it here.

If you're baking something with vanilla extract in it, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's non-compliant under the "no recreating baked goods/not even pancakes/SWYPO" rule. 

Wine vinegars are made with wine, but once they're ready to be used, the alcohol has been eaten up in the fermentation process. That's what makes it vinegar and not just old wine. 

Hi Laura:

I wasn't planning on baking goodies.  I was just wondering why the alcohol in vanilla was a  no-no and the alcohol in red wine vinegar was okay.   If that's true that the alcohol is eaten up by the fermentation process, then I guess home made red wine vinegar is out?   It's just a mixture of vinegar and red wine.   I wonder how long the fermentation process takes.

Archived