Starting April 15

BAP

Hi Guys!

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm new to Whole30. My husband and I are attempting this together as I've tried diets in the past and ended  up caving because of his eating habits (which isn't his fault, but is mine!) My goals for this first round are to break some bad habits (though I'm a fairly healthy eater anyway) and to hopefully jumpstart a bit of weight loss (though I know that's not the main intention of this program) to help boost my self-esteem. I suffer from anxiety with bouts of depression and food tends to be my pick-me-up crutch. I'd love to change that. I have about 15-20 lbs to lose and I'm hoping this program will start me on the right path to that. 

I'm on day 3 today and I'm realizing how daunting it is to prepare food for both of us! Also, I'm HUNGRIER today than the past two days. I'm sure this will subside soon, but in the meantime i do find myself missing things like cheese. I'm also an avid baker, so putting my baking on hold is super challenging because it is my creative outlet! 

Any good meal suggestions? I made a chicken biriyani with cauliflower rice last night and it was really good!

I started on the 14th too! So far, other than being a little sleepy from not having 6 cups of coffee a day, I haven't had a "hangover" or want to "kill all the things". I had a gastric sleeve in January 2018, so my meals are smaller and more frequent, but I am staying what I believe is compliant. Not feeling bad is making me wonder if I am doing something wrong, but I'm going to chalk it up to my body being used to elimination diets. 

I started my first round April 14th as well!  I definitely felt the hangover and "what have I done!" on day one.  But other than giving up coffee (can't drink without milk or sugar) it hasn't been too bad.  I just caved and had my first snack, a cashew Larabar.  I am intolerant to almonds so that is the only one that works for me.  Also living in Canada there are less buy-able Whole30 products!  I did find a compliant caesar dressing but I'm not too sure about it yet...

I'm worried I'm eating too many potatoes.  They are the only thing that seems to make me feel full.  Sweet and white.  I am eating very large portions but like I said I had my first snack today.. anyone else worry about too many potatoes or too large of portions?

Excited to join this for support!  Doing this one on my own.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, monalissalostit said:

I started on the 14th too! So far, other than being a little sleepy from not having 6 cups of coffee a day, I haven't had a "hangover" or want to "kill all the things". I had a gastric sleeve in January 2018, so my meals are smaller and more frequent, but I am staying what I believe is compliant. Not feeling bad is making me wonder if I am doing something wrong, but I'm going to chalk it up to my body being used to elimination diets. 

I'm on my second one and am not feeling nearly as badly as I did on my first. I was on a much more Whole 30 like diet between the two than before my first one despite the occasional donut. So I'd say if you're used to elimination diets or your diet has been somewhat like the Whole 30 recently, that's probably why you're not feeling anything. And even on my first one, I didn't want to kill all the things :). 

5 hours ago, haleywoodworth said:

I started my first round April 14th as well!  I definitely felt the hangover and "what have I done!" on day one.  But other than giving up coffee (can't drink without milk or sugar) it hasn't been too bad.  I just caved and had my first snack, a cashew Larabar.  I am intolerant to almonds so that is the only one that works for me.  Also living in Canada there are less buy-able Whole30 products!  I did find a compliant caesar dressing but I'm not too sure about it yet...

I'm worried I'm eating too many potatoes.  They are the only thing that seems to make me feel full.  Sweet and white.  I am eating very large portions but like I said I had my first snack today.. anyone else worry about too many potatoes or too large of portions?

Excited to join this for support!  Doing this one on my own.

I would say try sweet potatoes as a sub for the russets as a start. They have more nutrients in them. As for the large portions, it depends on your activity level as to your caloric needs. You shouldn't be starving!

I'm on day 7 now and I'm feeling pretty good! Day 4 was the hardest for me. Like REALLY bad. All i wanted was a sweet snack while my husband and I snuggled watching tv-- but I didn't cave! 

I've been eating sweet potatoes more so than any other potatoes. They are healthier for you and i LOVE basically all versions of white potatoes, so I figure breaking that habit is a good idea too! 

I have a wedding to go to on Day 20, which is going to be the hardest day I'm assuming. I feel good about my body right now though! I've always been extremely hard on myself about my appearance-- whether I've been 115 lbs or 150 lbs. I'm at the high end right now and I feel SO much less bloated. I've been doing an exercise program in conjunction with the Whole30. 

I've found that having some sort of food prepped is the only way I've survived this past week lol

How is everyone else doing?

Day 12 for me!  Feeling pretty good.  I have a routine down and am sticking to a few simple meals.  I have experimented a bit and tried some new foods which has been pretty successful!  I don't have much of a problem not snacking but I am still eating a lot of starchy vegetables and large portions.  I do weight lift 3-4 times per week and do light cardio about 3-4 times per week.  I'm assuming that is considered fairly active?  Which is why my portion sizes are so large?  Hoping so anyway!  I'm not feeling too challenged by the Whole30 right now.  We have a friend coming to town next week so I'm a little nervous to eat out if that is what they want to do.  I am feeling like I've learned a lot and I've had a bit of Tiger Blood here and there but I'm wanting to start eating the way I'm planning to eat going forward!  I want a little ketchup and light salad dressing and cheese in my life!!!! (in moderation)  I want to stick to the next 18 days but I can see myself getting a little bored.  How is everyone else doing????

Whole 30 ketchup is actually really good. You might find you don't miss the sugar if you make it. It's in the book (not the online recipes that are packed with dates). It's really simple and takes like 10 minutes tops to make with ingredients that are readily available in a regular grocery store. 

I prefer salad dressing that is oil/vinegar based, so no clue how to help there (maybe something made with Whole 30 mayo instead of sour cream or other dairy?). I hear you on the cheese...Cheese is cheese and it always will be. When I did my reintroductions after my first Whole30, the only thing that I reacted to like "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?" was dairy.

I'm on Day 12 too and doing fine. Not seeing drastic results either way (don't feel super crappy, but my pants aren't getting super loose either) like I did on my first one. But I'm sleeping a bit better and have more energy in the gym (#NSV). Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived