Publix salad bar

MaryPat628

I’m on day 5 and got a salad from Publix salad bar for lunch.  Thinking that sunflower seeds were OK, I put some on top. After I ate it, I went online and saw that there are allergens for wheat, dairy and soy for Publix brand sunflower seeds?  How can that be?  

• Moderators

I'm not sure how they were labeled, so there's a couple of possibilities.

One, the soybeans could have been roasted in soy oil or flavored with seasonings that used dairy or flour in the seasoning mix. In either of these cases, these items should be listed as ingredients. 

Or the second possibility is that this was just a way for the company to warn people of possible cross-contamination from these items, meaning the sunflower seeds were shelled, roasted, or packaged in a facility that also produces things that use soy or wheat or dairy. In this case, these things would not be listed as ingredients in the seeds because they weren't actually put on the seeds, but the warning lets people who are very sensitive to these items know it's possible trace amounts could have ended up in these seeds so that if they have a severe allergy where even the tiniest hint of those allergens could send them to the hospital they can avoid them.

If it's the second option, you're fine, you haven't had anything non-whole30. If it's the first one, you'd want to read this and consider whether you need to start over:  https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Archived