Day 56

Hello. I have my family of 6 on an extended Whole30 for medical reasons and we are on day 56. We have been 100% strict the entire time but have had a strange occurrence throughout. I can’t figure out if it’s coincidental or not but my children have had many bouts of 24 hour stomach bugs. They throw up many times over the course of it and I often feel sick to my stomach as well. Sometimes it only hits one of us and sometimes others are affected at same time. In my years as a mother our family has never had so many occurrences of the stomach bug so I am wondering if it has anything to do with our extended Whole30. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Thank you! 

• Moderators

There shouldn't be anything about whole30 that would lead to stomach bugs. Occasionally people starting out, especially those who have focused on eating very low fat for a long time, feel queasy as they adjust to eating healthy fats at each meal, but they usually adjust within a short time, so I wouldn't think that's what's happening here.

Is it possible that there are particular foods that some of you seem to be reacting to? Have you tried to track for that to see if there's a pattern? It would require keeping a food log and noting which days people are ill.

It's also possible it's truly just some kind of virus or even bacterial infection and you've just been particularly unlucky with the timing. It might be worth talking to a doctor just to be sure, especially if these bugs are accompanied by fever. 

Archived