Ham

nrmoody415

I'm new. This is my first day on the forum. I am planning on starting my first Whole30 next week. I have been reading and researching and I have not seen much discussion or recipes for ham. Is that a meat that is allowed? Or is it by nature too processed to be compliant? I'm not necessarily talking about lunch meat or deli meat ham. Just general ham baked in the oven like we eat at Christmas down here in the South (I have no idea if other areas of the US have that tradition at Christmas. I've never lived anywhere else). Have I overlooked ham in the recipes and such?

4 hours ago, nrmoody415 said:

I'm new. This is my first day on the forum. I am planning on starting my first Whole30 next week. I have been reading and researching and I have not seen much discussion or recipes for ham. Is that a meat that is allowed? Or is it by nature too processed to be compliant? I'm not necessarily talking about lunch meat or deli meat ham. Just general ham baked in the oven like we eat at Christmas down here in the South (I have no idea if other areas of the US have that tradition at Christmas. I've never lived anywhere else). Have I overlooked ham in the recipes and such?

It depends what it's brined/cured in. Most commercial hams will have sugar added to the brine/cure, but you can find compliant ones and you can definitely make your own (I do!) and have it be compliant. So long as ingredients are compliant, you're good to go.

I have noticed that even the "uncured" ham in the store still has sugar in it! I can't believe it. I'm still on the mission to find some. We have to have it at my house if for nothing more than to just shake things up a little and get out of the chicken/turkey rut. And to be honest, ham tastes better with eggs IMO. HAHA! Thank you for confirming that it is not a lost cause for W30'ers.

Archived