SummerGirl's New Year Whole 30

SummerGirl

Hi Derval :) . Happy New Year!

So today's W30 Day 1 went like this-

Breakfast-2 softboiled eggs with grilled tomatoes and a cup of hot water with lemon.

Lunch-hotsmoked salmon with a big salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, red onion, peppers, grated carrot. Also had an apple. Had been out at the shops stocking up so I needed a fast lunch option when I got home. It was tasty but I didn't feel fully satisfied after it. Will have a bigger lunch tomorrow.

Dinner- chicken curry made with onion, garlic, fresh ginger, tomatoes, stock, coconut milk, green peppers, ground coriander, cardamom pods, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and fresh coriander. Super tasty and plenty left for tomorrow's lunch.

Today went well .

Kicking the sugar dragon to touch. That's not to say there isn't a bit of a struggle going on (after the Christmas off roading sugar-wise)....but I'm winning :)

Breakfast-2 poached eggs with chives and some grilled cherry tomatoes drizzled with balsamic.

Lunch-leftover Chicken Curry from yesterday's dinner. Very satisfying-kept me going all afternoon without feeling hungry.

Dinner-Lamb Meatballs with sweet potato and green beans.

Didn't get a chance to log on last night so here's yesterday's log.

Breakfast-scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Some blueberries.

Lunch-leftover meatballs and zuchini noodles. Half an avocado.

Dinner-Chicken Cacciatore (from the slow cooker (crockpot)) with green beans, brocolli and carrots. An apple.

What recipe do you use for the chicken?

I actually made it up from looking at a few different recipes online. It's sort of a combo! Prob not exactly chicken cacciatore-I called it Italian Chicken when I dished it up :)

I lightly browned the chicken and seasoned it (I used fillets, cut up into chunks). Added some onion to the pan til softened and a crushed garlic clove. Then I just threw the chicken, onion and garlic into the slow cooker and added two tins of chopped tomatoes, some dried basil and dried oregano, sliced black olives, sliced green and red pepper, a spoon of olive oil, small bit of stock (made a batch of this a while back and have it portioned in freezer) and a spoon of our old friend The Happy Pear sundried tomato pesto. If I wasn't doing a Whole30, I'd have added some white wine also but I left this out obviously. I cooked it for 6.5 hours on low.

Toady's log-

Breakfast-2 soft boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes cooked on pan with a spoon of sundried tomato pesto stirred through.

Lunch- Courgette+ginger soup (Melissa Joulwan's recipe), 2 slices of bacon and half an avocado.

Dinner-Roasted lemon, bay and garlic cod with brocolli, spinach and sweet potato and coriander mash.

Day 5.

Breakfast- Sweet potato fritter and half an avocado.

Lunch- same Courgette+Ginger soup as yesterday, the second half of the avocado , a banana with some almond butter. No protein so not an ideal lunch.

Dinner- striploin steak and loads of stir fry mixed vegetables (broccoli, ginger, asparagus, spring onions, peppers, garlic, green beans)

Drinks throughout each day tend to be hot water with lemon, peppermint tea or glasses of water.

Yikes the weekend was busy-I didn't get a chance to log on in the evenings to record my days.

This was how today went.

Breakfast- 2 chicken drumsticks (leftover from yesterday's roast) and some leftover veggies-I tossed them in the wok with some coconut aminos and chilli flakes. Felt very paleo having chicken+vegetables for my breakfast :)

Lunch-I made the 'Mexi Eggs' I read about on another Whole 30 log (http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/quick-recipe-mexi-eggs/) and had them with avocado and salsa which I made by mixing chopped tomatoes, red onion, lime juice and coriander. Delish-will def make again. It would make a nice breakfast, maybe without the salsa.

Dinner-Indian spice rubbed lamb chops and roasted vegetables.

Gosh I have been bad at keeping my log!! The main thing is, I had a great week Whole 30-wise :)

Did a bit of cooking prep today for the start of the coming week.

I made this breakfast pie in the crockpot. http://paleomg.com/e...-breakfast-pie/ Haven't tried it yet as it has literally just finished cooking so it'll be interesting to see how it tastes.

EDITED TO SAY I've just had a taste and I don't like it-eek! Maybe it will taste better when it cools down. So far, not feeling too optimistic that it'll be a runner. Pity.

Also made a big pot of curried parsnip soup and a made a batch of Melissa Joulwan's grilled spiced chicken fillets for handy 'go-to' protein to add when I'm having the parsnip soup.

I also cooked a roast chicken and we had some for dinner, saved the rest for the school lunches tomorrow for the children and I have a stock pot on the go now with the carcass.

Today's log;

Breakfast-2 eggs fried in coconut oil, half an avocado, a slice of (compliant) bacon and a spoon of salsa (I made the salsa yesterday using tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, coriander)

Lunch- hot smoked salmon fillet, the second half of the avocado and a big mixed salad with greens, peppers, a hardboiled egg, tomatoes.

Dinner- roast chicken, brocolli, carrots, green beans and a spoon of tomato pesto. A banana and almond butter.

Hope the egg bake improves with rest, awful waste of eggs & meat if it's inedible :(

Well, I tried it this morning and it was awful-it had a really horrible taste and texture :( . I couldn't eat more than a forkful so I'm afraid it's going to have to go in the bin. I'm going to try your 'wing it' egg bake recipe Derval instead. I should have done that in the first place!

Well, I tried it this morning and it was awful-it had a really horrible taste and texture :( . I couldn't eat more than a forkful so I'm afraid it's going to have to go in the bin. I'm going to try your 'wing it' egg bake recipe Derval instead. I should have done that in the first place!

yeah I'm like a paleo Delia I am, fierce reliable ;):D

I do love my egg bake, have you got the saussie seasoning made up already? because that is crucial imo.

Here you go, it's in Well Fed, I got this below online cos I was too lazy to type it, but yoou might want to double check. I amke half quantities which is plenty, and use appox 1.5 tbls for 500g pork.

*Italian Sausage Seasoning*

makes lots

Ingredients

4 tsp dried parsley

1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs

2 tsp ground black pepper

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp paprika

4 tsp salt

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1 1/2 tsp fennel seed (optional)

Archived