Starting Whole 30 for January

Madeline368

I'm planning to do a Whole 30 in January.  My health is terrible with multiple chronic illnesses and food allergies, and I know that I need to eat (and sleep, and exercise) better.  I have a really hard time staying away from food that I know is bad for me and I'm hoping following this plan will keep me on track.  However I have tried many times before and always failed between days 3-10, so I'm really nervous.  I hope being in the forum will help me keep accountable.

Currently I mostly only cook kosher and vegetarian because my kid is vegetarian (single mom) and we are Jewish so I'm planning to continue to do that and just cook some protein on the side for myself.  If anyone has any good vegetarian recipe resources that are compliant I'd love to see them!  I own all the cookbooks but those recipes feature meat or seafood in every dish so they don't work for kiddo.

I hope to find a January group to join to talk with other people at the same place as me.  Looking forward to prep tips as well.  

Happy Holidays,

Maddie

• Moderators

Does your kiddo eat eggs? If so, this recipe would work for both of you, though you probably want to double it:  http://meljoulwan.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/

The whole30 cookbooks should have vegetable side dishes that you could fix, and then do protein options for each of you separately. Unfortunately, most vegetarian protein options don't work for whole30, except for eggs, so you may not find a lot of whole meal options that will work. 

I am so with you on the many attempts at this program and those are the same days as me too. If you have a store that does rotisserie chicken that is compliant that is a fast way to get the protein. I deboned it shred it and then separated out in portion sizes and put it in the freezer. 

Rotisserie chicken is so useful.  I've also done whole chickens in the instant pot or crock pot and shredded it for recipes.  I also buy a lot of fish for myself.

My kid does eat eggs so that's a good idea.  They eat a ton of lentils and other legumes which I know I can't have, but I can cook on the side for them.  

I’m 8.5 months postpartum and starting January 6. I followed a vegan lifestyle before becoming pregnant (all I wanted was meat during my pregnancy) and have gotten married to someone who had no interest in giving up meat and enjoying his traditional SAD. I needed to find an a plan that wouldn’t require me to constantly prepare two different meals (he can have his bread and dessert if he wants) and didn’t require a lot of weighing, counting, tracking, etc.

My cholesterol also recently tested high. My doctor told me I needed to lose weight. I gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy and have lost about 20 so far.

I am looking forward to establishing a renewed relationship with food and lowering my inflammation, pain and cholesterol! 

Hey VanessaAnne you sound like you have similar problems to me- having to cook for two (or more) different eating habits.  One thing I try to do is prep different ingredients that can go together- for example stir fry:  I'll cook the meat in one pan, veggies in another, and seasoned noodles in a 3rd.  The vegetarian will eat noodles and veggies, the meat eating child (who is now off at college) would eat meat and noodles, and I would eat meat and veg.  It's more work than throwing  it all in one pot but it works ok.  I'm also hoping to lower inflammation - I have so much pain and I'm so sick of it!

I'm working on my menu for next week (we always meal plan/shop on the weekend for the upcoming week) and I'm kind of overwhelmed planning 3 meals per day and trying to remember all the rules!

Archived