Preparing for the fall - August Whole30

Amy_Michigan

I am going to be starting a whole30 again.  Soon!  August 1st!  Wahooo... 

The last few months have been WEIRD.  Very weird.  I started a new engineering job only 2 days before our office closed due to the coronavirus.  I tried learning the ropes remotely (with my kids and husband at home all day)  and I hated it and was getting pretty depressed about it so I quit.  Thankfully, my husband saved me and "plan B" went into action... We switched roles and he is working full time and I'm the one home with the kids all day starting this fall when he starts teaching.   Our public school district announced they are starting 100% virtual this fall.  So I'll be "homeschool mom" for a change.. my husband was the stay-at-home dad for the last 7 years and now my son is going into kindergarten and my daughter's going into 3rd.  We had been planning to try both working full time before the pandemic to save more money, but plans changed. Oh well!  I am working as a cleaner part time after the kids go to bed for some extra hours and in an environment where I don't have to be around other people since its after closing time of the office building.

I've been getting more exercise with the cleaning and that's really good- makes me feel happier.  

I look forward to reading your adventures with getting ready for the upcoming school year in the midst of the pandemic while doing W30!  My youngest is starting college next month, my oldest will be starting her last year.  I'll be continuing to work from home this fall (due to the pandemic) and dealing with empty nest while my husband works outside the home full-time.  Here's to beginning anew on August 1!

I did really well today in preparation for Aug 1st.  You have no idea how much junk food I have been eating most days...soooo bad.

I haven't officially started the whole30, but I'm trying to get used to eating more fruits and veggies and less bread and bagels.

M1: Cereal...hopefully for the last time for 32+ days.

M2: Green Smoothie

Snacks: Apple, Crackers with wheat...hopefully for the last time for 32+days

M3: Chicken Salad

M4: Another Chicken salad with a hardboiled egg

Pre-whole30 log for today (not going to be compliant, but I'm getting used to tracking):

M1: 2 eggs cooked in butter (need to switch over to ghee Aug 1st!)

M2: Apple with natural peanut butter (will switch to unsweetened almond butter soon!)

Snack: Baby carrots with primal kitchen ranch  (I think I will switch to oil and balsamic vinegar, Vanilla yogurt with frozen blueberries (going to miss yogurt!)

I'm getting pumped for Aug 1st!  

I think my plan for tonight is a chicken salad..or tuna patties made with almond flour.  Not sure yet!

M3: Chicken salad

And omg I am soooooo hungry an hour later.  I definitely will have to add sweet potatoes to my grocery list and have one with dinner any time my dinner is not very substantial.

---

Today I watched the documentary called "What The Health" on Netflix.  I've watched a lot of documentaries and read a lot of articles that are pro-paleo.  I have been paleo off and on since 2014 when I completed my first whole30.  But I have not been able to stick with it and then and my weight goes up and down.

I'm thinking that after I get rid of all the junk during August for my whole30, I might transition try a plant-based whole foods diet (either vegetarian or vegan).  The reasoning is because I have a few minor health issues that haven't gone away with paleo eating and I am wondering about trying the elimination of animal products (but keeping all the wonderful fruits and veggies of course).  So that is the plan for Sept 1 after I complete my August Whole30.  If it doesn't improve my health I may be back here again in October!

17 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

I have been paleo off and on since 2014 when I completed my first whole30.  But I have not been able to stick with it and then and my weight goes up and down.

Same here!  :D

17 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

I have a few minor health issues that haven't gone away with paleo eating and I am wondering about trying the elimination of animal products (but keeping all the wonderful fruits and veggies of course). 

Think about nightshades, too, if you haven't already.  These are easy enough to cut back on during your W30 so it won't change your post plan.  I did not want to give up tomatoes, peppers, and white potatoes, but I really noticed a difference with a few days elimination and then trying to eat them again.  It was pretty dramatic and surprising, for me, though of course everyone is different.  

DAY 1

Okay, I am here.  That is something.  I am so tired and so hungry so I'm probably going to end up eating 4 meals today.

M1: Apple & Almond Butter

M2: Green Beans, Sweet potato, and Tuna patty (eggs, tuna, almond flour).  The sweet potato and green beans were frozen and cooked up in the skillet in coconut oil.

M3 is supposed to be zucchini spaghetti with ground beef in the sauce but I don't think I will make it until dinner time.  Will probably need to eat some carrots/cucumber or a green smoothie with avocado/banana/spinach/carrot juice.

---

I haven't traveled anywhere since December and I got an invite to a graduation party and I'm itching to go even though a lot of people would frown on any sort of travel or gathering due to coronavirus.  My husband gave me the OK that I could go by myself, take lots of masks, hand sanitizer and everything, and during the party (which is outside) I could social distance and wear my mask the whole time.  And then before driving back I would tent camp...  the only time I would be indoors is at a restroom going there and back...

Why do I feel so guilty like I'm breaking a rule?  I am starting to talk myself out of going even though I RSVP'ed.  Ugghhhhh

I think I need to go eat my mini meal now.  The grad party is tomorrow so I'll decide later tonight.

Archived