SeptemberWhole30 starting 9/14/20

pearlgirl2017

Hello all!  I am gearing up for this year's September Whole30 which starts on Monday, Sept. 14.  I have most of the week's meals planned and will do my shopping and prepping over the weekend.  I am committed to this next 30 days.  Everything hurts, and I have needed to start taking anti-depressant meds again.  I have minimal energy and my creative side seems to have left me.  

Welcome to all who are also starting on the 14th.

I’m starting the 14th as well. This is my fourth round. I just moved from Colorado to Arizona with my family. There’s been a lot of eating out and quick eats during the transition and I need a reset and refocus big time! My skin hates me and my clothes are nice and snug! 

I am so ready for some routine and consistency in my life. And good-healthy food! 

Thank you for joining me here.  I have previously attempted Whole30's before.  I have made it as far as day 23.  This time I WILL make it to day 30 and a proper reintroduction.  

I seriously need to take better care of myself.  With all that's going on in the world right now I need to at least feel in control of what I am eating.

hello!  First-timer here...although, I have done many paleo "resets" as I call them, and a handful of 21 DSD's in the past several years.  I'm super excited for this though!  ...In the beginning of COVID I was adamant about keeping my immune system as good as it could be, but after all the months have gone by....I've not been so kind to my body.  I've had inflammatory back issues, decreased energy and lability in mood.  AND my jeans are getting really uncomfortable.  I feel so bloated all the time!  I'm confident it won't be too difficult for me since I feel like a veteran for these sorts of programs and I already don't eat gluten or dairy other than a bite here and there because I'm intolerant to both.  Starting out strong today....We got this!!! 

Today is my first day too. First time ever doing Whole30. I'm sticking to the basics. I have my proteins pre cooked, frozen veggies on hand & olive oil for the first week. I'm in the process of moving so I need simplicity. I can't put it off any later because if I do it will be just another excuse.  

Hi folks,

I'm starting today too. I've completed a couple of Whole30s, felt really good and had great success, but more recently I had a couple of false starts and then got really relaxed and complacent about my eating habits during shelter-in-place. It's been al about comfort food and comfort wine haha. It took me this long to realize what I've been eating and drinking hasn't been helping my body or my spirits. I'm excited to start Whole30 and looking forward to the good night's sleep I know I'll be getting. 

I'm going to experiment with a pork shoulder, mango puree and lime in the pressure cooker tonight. Then spend some time planning a menu for the rest of the week.

Here's to us! We can do this!

Welcome to Day2.  Day1 went pretty well considering I didn't get any of the prep work done during the weekend that I had planned.  Still managed to eat compliantly, just nothing ready-to-use.  Yesterday's meals were  

Meal 1:  Eggs scrambled in bacon drippings, Dole mandarin orange cup, coffee with almond milk.

Meal 2:  Can of tuna warmed up with a can of green beans (didn't have a fat).

Meal 3:  Seared pork chops https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54981/pan-fried-pork-chop-recipe/ with steamed yellow squash and a lemon/oil sauce.

I used a thick-cut boneless chop and it came out fine.  It had to cook about 10-12 minutes in the oven to reach 145 degrees.   How were your meals?

LOL the pork shoulder - I over cooked it and the sugars in the puree burned a little. I would definitely try it again and it was edible, it just could have been better. I wasn't paying attention. 

I need to shop - I am going to make some chia pudding jars for breakfasts for the rest of the week with berries and nuts.

I think I'm going to keep it pretty simple tonight and do roasted chicken and veggies to go with it and then prep some mayo and maybe one of the dressing recipes

I had a bit of a family emergency this weekend which threw off my planning and prepping - my mother fell and broke her jaw. I went to visit and made a bunch of soups for her to freeze in single portions. They just happened to be Whole30 friendly and pretty tasty so maybe I'll do a soup for myself tomorrow. Leek and potato with spinach mushroom and chicken. 

23 hours ago, dnewc said:

I think I'm going to keep it pretty simple tonight and do roasted chicken and veggies to go with it and then prep some mayo and maybe one of the dressing recipes

I use Primal Kitchen mayo as my go to if you don't have time to make your own (plus its messy clean up IMO).  They have several flavors that are compliant and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tasty!  

9 hours ago, C_J said:

I use Primal Kitchen mayo as my go to if you don't have time to make your own (plus its messy clean up IMO).  They have several flavors that are compliant and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tasty!  

Thanks for the tip C-J . I did not have time to prep mayo after all so I will definitely look for the Primal Kitchen. But I did make soup tonight. I put a ton of spinach in (well like a pound and a half) - so satistfying.

Sorry to have disappeared, my internet went down again.  How is everyone doing so far?  We have finished 3 whole days.  I have to admit that the thought of cooking breakfast this morning kind of sucked.  But I did it!  Lunch was pre-made so just grab and go.  Now if I can convince my man to assemble and grill some hamburger patties while I make an onion gravy.......

I'm doing great!  Thankfully, I cooked so much this weekend I am good for a few more days.  Guess I should start planning what to make next so I am ready to cook again on Saturday!    I am really digging the slow cooker BBQ shredded chicken with sweet potato "buns" recipe....I used New Primal hot sauce and BBQ sauce and it is literally the BEST chicken I have ever made!  

I'm doing great so far, but the smoke has cleared in Santa Cruz so we can sit outside and I am meeting a friend for what would normally be "happy hour" more recently "social distance glass of wine". Wine is so tempting but I guess I'll bring some La Croix or Kombucha. It's all about good company after all!!

I've almost made it through Day 4.  Yesterday was rough.  Major headache and really tired.  Today my head is clearer.  I am amazed I do not have any cravings.  Are you the same?  I'm having a hard time in the afternoons.  My stomach is saying, "Feed Me".  I have noticed alot of the meals are spicy.  I can't do spice.  Does anyone have any ideas on substitutions to replace those ingredients ?  I can just eliminate them but worried they will be too bland.   

18 hours ago, Carrie 2558 said:

I've almost made it through Day 4.  Yesterday was rough.  Major headache and really tired.  Today my head is clearer.  I am amazed I do not have any cravings.  Are you the same?  I'm having a hard time in the afternoons.  My stomach is saying, "Feed Me".  I have noticed alot of the meals are spicy.  I can't do spice.  Does anyone have any ideas on substitutions to replace those ingredients ?  I can just eliminate them but worried they will be too bland.   

The first week is always hard to figure out how much to put on your plate.  Is your stomach growling hungry or is it just scared it won't be fed ever again?

Use whatever spices you normally use that don't have non-compliant ingredients in them.  I find most recipes are pretty forgiving.  What spice in particular do you want a sub for? Maybe one of us can help with ideas.

Day 5 -  I feel much better today.  My head is clearer & I woke up feeling more alert in a long time.  Supper was left overs.  Didn't take my meat out and it was frozen so leftovers it was.  I found I could only eat 1/2 of what I put on my luncheon plate.  When I get hungry my stomach feels hollow. I keep forgetting to drink lots of water.

Tonight I am going to make the brisket.  I've never cooked one before but I can add vegetables & potatoes to it.  Next time I will use the Instant Pot and compare it to the oven cooked one.

Spices - red pepper flakes, curry, hot sauce, jalapeño, chili pepper.  Alot of recipes ask for them.  Thanks for the help.  I hope you are having a good day.  Thanks for the recipe, I'll be sure to try it.  The first night I did the tomato sauce with Italian ground beef with spaghetti squash.  It was very good.

13 minutes ago, Carrie 2558 said:

Spices - red pepper flakes, curry, hot sauce, jalapeño, chili pepper.

My man can't tolerate much heat in his food either. (Too many hot pepper eating contests when he was a kid in south Texas)  I like a little spice but not necessarily "make your nose run".  For him I can cut the amount called for down by 1/2 or more.  And it still gives a little something.

Curry powder and chili powder are a blend of spices.  You can google for substitutions and leave out the hot stuff.  For the others, no harm in leaving them out.  

Archived