Angry with Myself: could this be normal around Day 11?

Seana H

I have so much to be proud of in hitting Day 11 of my Whole30. I never dreamed I could accomplish what I have done in my first week and a half to turn around some major bad habits. I am so happy with what I'm feeling (amazing energy, regaining control of my life, fun finding and cooking new recipes, and it feels like some pounds are melting off).

HOWEVER, I am incredibly sad and angry. How did I let my body get this way??? Why did I spend a year making such bad choices that resulted in a 50 inch jelly belly? Why did I consciously let myself get so out-of-shape and gain 40 pounds. How could I let my bad choices keep me from seeing that my children are consuming way too much sugar and carbs?

I know this is my "instant gratification" demon sitting on my shoulder. But I am scared about how long it is going to take me to get to my goal. (lose 35lbs, make exercise a normal part of my daily life, and eat for my health).

Would love any advice and to hear if others have experienced these feelings after the euphoria on Days 6 -10.

I guess this is a normal part of the process when making big changes, especially when the penny drops and we have realisations about just how unhealthy and even risky our previous behaviours were. I went through a similar process with giving up alcohol.

BUT, remember you ARE doing something about it now. You've made a positive choice to change. A lot of people don't get to where you are, a lot of them remain too scared to tackle it for the rest of their lives.

Hey Seana,

I have gone through the same feelings as you. I gained the 35 lbs you are talking about in a year, became very sedentary, and had been eating what I thought was healthy plus sweets that I thought I could never be free from.

Give yourself a break girl :) This stuff is hard!! It has thrown me on such an emotional (maybe all food related, maybe not) roller coaster, I don't know how I really feel at any given time. One day I feel like this is a cakewalk, the next all I can think about is what I'll have when I'm done - pancakes?! :( And I think we all have wondered how we let ourselves go so far with unhealthy behaviors. I like to think it's partly because I didn't know any better (Whole 30), partly because the food industry has been playing on our weaknesses for our whole lives, and partly because I wasn't ready to change.

You're obviously ready to change, and you are changing. Enjoy those good feelings, and tell those bad ones to take a giant leap! The weight will change because we are changing our lifestyle. Personally... I don't care if it takes a year to come off like it did to come on - I'm going there. No one is stopping me, and no one can stop you either. Keep going - we'll see the rewards :)

Amanda

Archived