Nankamo

I take athletic greens if someone can take a look at their label and let me know if this is ok. I love it because it has SO DARN MUCH in it that I think is really good. The other reason I love it is cuz I will never be able to eat broccoli for breakfast but I also had gastric by pass in 07 and I just can't eat that much. I get the protein in and my athletic greens in the mornings, then protein and a really good dose of veggies at lunch and sometimes by supper time, Im not all that hungry so I eat the protein again and drink the athletic greens again. Im on day 5 and I feel amazing. Can someone just check and make sure its ok??

• Moderators

No. This stuff is not okay during a Whole30. First it is processed food and not real food. Being sourced from real food is not the same as real food. And this stuff has off plan ingredients like brown rice and probably soy.

Your gastric bypass does make things harder, but if you want to do a Whole30, you have to eat real food, not food in powder form. You may need to eat more often than most people. We've heard from some others with gastric bypasses that need to eat more often than 3 times per day to get enough food in, but I know it is doable.

If I eat more often isn't that going to mess up my hormones communication with my brain about something I forgot but said in the book that it needed 5 hours between meals for that to work right? I can't find brown rice on the label at all. where is that??

For most people, I think eating 4 (or even 5 if they're really active) meals in a day is not going to mess hormones up. ISWF actually recommends that you wait 4 hours between meals and eat at least two hours before bed to ensure good sleep. I usually try to only have 3 meals, but I'm fine with 4 if most are smaller meals. In your case, you would HAVE to eat smaller meals. I agree with not relying on supplements and powders. These things have only been around a relatively short time while food is what we're designed to eat.

• Moderators

Spacing meals 4 or 5 hours apart is ideal, but eating more often will not stop you from having a great experience. I ate 5 or 6 meals per day when I did my first Whole30 because I ate whenever I was hungry and did not know I should try to eat my meals spaced farther apart. I gradually worked down to fewer meals and am delighted that I don't need to cook as often now.

The ingredient list is kind of hard to read, but here it is a subset of it from their website...

Alkaline, Nutrient Dense Raw Superfood Complex

8393mg Organic Spirulina, Lecithin (95% phosphatides), Organic Apple powder, Organic, Inulin (F.O.S. pre-biotics), Organic Wheatgrass Juice powder, Organic Alfalfa powder, Chlorella Powder, Organic Flaxseed Powder, Organic Barley Leaf powder, Acerola, Cherry Fruit Juice powder Extract (10:1), Organic Broccholi Flower Powder, Carica Papaya Powder, Pineapple Fresh Fruit Concentrate (10:1), Brown Rice Bran, Organic Bilberry Fresh Fruit Extract (100:1), Organic Red Beet Juice Powder, Rosehip Fruit Powder (Rosa canina), Carrot Root Powder, Organic Spinach Leaf Powder, Cocoa Bean Polyphenol Extract, Grapeseed Extract (120:1) (std.95%O.P.C.), Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) (10:1), Licorice Root Powder, Ginger Rhizome Powder, Slippery Elm Bark Powder (Ulmus rubra), Kelp Whole Plant Powder

Lecithin is often soy and then there is the brown rice bran

The amounts off off plan foods are probably small, so rather than starting over, I would recommend just going for a Whole35.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to the company that makes that and this is the response that I got back from them.

Hi Nancy,

Chris has advised that we haven't had brown rice bran in Athletic Greens for a long, long time, and asked where you had seen this listed.

If you could please let me know, I will be happy to notify Chris.

I sent them a link to where that is found and I also called and spoke to someone who informed me that the lecithin has all potentially allergic to soy components removed and it is an extremely minute amount that even people who are allergic to soy can tolerate (which is me)

Just to update on my findings about this product.

Archived