Veggies with squash? Additional fat with oil?

Helene2310

So I'm really enjoying the whole30 and am doing really good on it but I'm starting to want to fine tune even more. I have been dipping into whole30 for a few months now but today I am on day 16 and going strong...I have two questions that I am just not 100% sure about:

1. I love sweet potatoes and all squash and try to eat one or the other everyday to help with my energy levels especially being my first whole30, now even though sweet potatos are a vegetable I still try to incorporate a green veggie or something along with it to make sure I get a good veggie serving. Is it always necessary to pair my root vegetables with other vegetables? Or can they occasionally be by theirselves with a fat and protein?

2. I always try to cook with coconut oil, yet still try to incorporate olives or avocado with my meal for a more foundational fat. I am currently mildly active and are dealing with some fatigue/health stuff (im doing the AI protocol) so I make sure I eat fats for energy. Is it necessary to add the extra fats (olives or avocados) if I am cooking with coconut oil? I typically use 1tbsp-2tbsp oil depending on how much good fats I will have with my meal.

Any feedback woud be helpful. Thank you!

• Moderators

I sometimes eat a baked sweet potato as my only veggie at one meal in a day, so I think it is okay as long as you don't do it at every meal. I think you have to eat green veggies every day to be doing well!

I don't think you can get all the fat you need just from cooking oil, but you don't have to eat extra fat at every meal. You can eat avocado or olives or coconut flakes once a day or twice a day and be fine. These things average out over time.

The way i judge my cooking oil or fat is, if it's a frittata or hash or anything than comes out the pan and leaves it clean, then I reckon I've got all the fat I used for cooking absorbed into the food. However if I'm frying a chop or salmon fillet or something like that, then there's always oil left in the pan when I take the food out so I can't count that. Well, except for the fact that I'm quite mean so tend to pour it over my meal anyway :) but you know what I mean.

Archived