So, I almost fainted while grocery shopping...

Koerner

Background information:

I'm 20. I don't know if this is a real factor, but I'm counting it.

I'm on day 13 of Whole30. My meals are pretty well-balanced for the entirety of my endeavors, and I've been particularly sensitive to my iron intake (anemia is a common affliction for the women in my family), so I'm very particular about protein and nice, green, leafy vegetables. I'm also pretty good about my hydration.

I'm on day 1 of period (and 20 days late, though that's not surprising for me. I have incredibly irregular cycles). My first day is typically the worst (Usually just cramps, but they can cripple me and force me to wait them out in bed for a few hours. Also, generally sluggish and achy.). Feeling faint on the first day is rare, but not terribly unheard of.

Today, I ate breakfast (9amish) (beef heart, bok choy, red and green peppers, jalapeno, all sauteed in coconut oil and a (tbsp) spoonful of nut butter in lieu of chocolate). One of the potential problems is that I did not eat lunch (I promise it slipped my mind, and I didn't feel hungry, which is a bit unusual as I'm usually appropriately hungry for lunch when it rolls around).

Around 2:30, my beau and I went grocery shopping and after completing most of it, I started to feel really sick: cramps, feeling indigestion, light-headedness, dizziness, the white in lights seemed really bright and started fading into other colors. These are my signs for "You're gonna faint, better sit down real quick or it's gonna be a bad time". I explained to my boyfriend that I wasn't feeling well, quickly bought a bottle of water and sat outside and drank that while waiting.

He bought Midol, got all my groceries and met me and made me eat some strawberries and take the medication (what a keeper!). All of that helped and I felt a lot better within thirty minutes and we were able to safely travel back home.

Needless to say, forgetting about lunch was really stupid (I ate more strawberries, a hard boiled egg, and a small glass of coconut milk to tide me over until dinner when I got home. Not the best most well-rounded meal, but I'm okay with that.) and I understand that, so please don't berate me about it! Also, if Midol isn't compliant, frankly, I don't care. I will fully admit that my Whole30 may not be exactly to the letter, but, as this is my first one, I'm taking it as a learning experience.

What I do care about is it if other women have had vaguely terrifying experiences while on their periods and doing Whole30, any advice about nutrition intake for the next couple days for me, and if stopping might be a good idea (I'm inclined to say no, because I don't think that'll help, but I'm open to differing opinions).

I just want to reiterate that I am feeling a lot better, so hopefully this is just a passing phase for this round of the cycle!

Koerner, sorry that happened to you! I KNOW how crappy that feeling is.

For a couple years in high school I would nearly faint or actually faint on the first couple days of my period, like clockwork. It just happens to some people unfortunately. I went on BC to help prevent the dizzyness and fainting and luckily for me it stopped. The light-headedness and dizzyness (along with all the other things that come along with it) still happen to me frequently when I am on my period, I have just gotten used to it over the past 8 years or so.

However, there are things that help prevent it. One, drink a TON of water during that time of the month! Also, UP YOUR CARBS!!! When you stopped eating a lot of carb heavy things (bread, pasta, rice, beans, etc) your body probably didn't respond well to begin with, but bring on the monthly cycle and it gets worse. So, when I am about to start my period I eat a LOT more sweet potatoes, squash, etc to ensure my body has enough carbs. This has really helped with ALL the symptoms but most importantly the dizzyness and light-headedness.

I know you already know this, but it is crucial you don't skip meals if you are prone to anemia or light-headedness. If your body doesn't have enough to support your cycle it will shut down and make you pass out. So eat up girl and hopefully this doesn't happen again!

I second adding more starchy vegegetables, and I know you said you don't normally skip meals, but it sounds like the skipped lunch was probably a contributing factor, too.

I'd also just make sure you're eating enough, period. If you're feelign shaky or weak at any other points, that's likely. I know I generally eat more during my cycle, because I need it. I think it can take a while to get a sense of that, though.

Crazy - I came onto the boards yesterday for this exact reason!

Koerner - I'm also in the middle of my cycle and for the past two days have been getting really lightheaded throughout the days, and today got a gnarly headache (I never get headaches). I read about it on here and have been downing tons of water, throwing in some kombucha also. Decided not to Crossfit or Hot Yoga today as I felt like I would pass out in the middle of a lift or down dog.

Probably should add another sweet potato into the mix tonight as I've been pretty meat, green veggie and seed focused recently?

Ugh, hormones! Ugh, detoxing!

A little background on hormones... Although guys jokingly say our hormones are on overdrive during that time of the month, in reality, progesterone and estrogen drop to their lowest when our period hits. Although I haven't felt like I was going to pass out before, I regularly feel that drop and feel totally out of it for a few hours to a day. Lately, I've even been getting a headache around that same time. I talked to my gyn about it and she reminded me that sudden drop in hormones is to blame.

Factor in a Whole30 where your hormones are going a little haywire anyway, that *might* help explain what's going on. If your hormones are trying to figure out what to do and then they drop, it could possibly be a more drastic result during your first Whole30 cycle. The food thing can be another. Your body NEEDS more carbs the second half of your cycle, which is why we typically have cravings then.

It could be something else entirely, but just my two cents: keep at it and see how your next cycle is. Eat some more carbs. I'd be willing to bet that things will even out in a month or two and this is a one-time thing, assuming you can rule everything else out.

Thanks, team. I am feeling much better (post a delicious dinner which did include sweet potatoes!) so I'm not too worried now. Though I'll totally admit that I freaked out before, but seems understandable considering potential public embarrassment and not understanding why my body was so upset.

Thanks for all the advice, and good luck, ladies! :)

This actually happens to me 1-2 times per year, a few days before I get my period. Once, I was proctoring the ACT- standing in front of a classroom full of 15-18 year olds who had paid to take this miserable, four hour test. I knew that if I got sick and left, their scores would be invalidated and they would have to reschedule for another test date. Womp! It worked out when the hall proctor came by and saw that I was white as a sheet, sweating profusely, and terrified. The second time was during this January Whole30 and was not quite as bad...I was volunteering at a shelter and was able to find a dark, quiet room to lie down in. It usually comes on very quickly and is over within 30 minutes. For me, my sleep and food/water intake seems to have no connection to whether or not this happens. I have concluded that it must just be the way my body works...

Anyway, I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people saying that this is their normal. I'm sorry this happened to you, especially in such a public space! Glad you had someone there to take care of you. :-)

Archived