Cravings changed

SpellQ

Has anyone else experienced this after a whole30? Prior to my whole30 in February my cravings for pretty much my whole life have been salty food based - chips, salty cheeses, etc. I have fallen off the wagon hard core in the last week or so, but it's because of sweet things. This week I was over the top craving oreo ice cream, sweet lemonade, and milk chocolate. It's not a pms thing since that's not for a couple more weeks. It was absolutely compulsive and overwhelming craving for sugary sweet items. I don't even like milk chocolate! haha I have pineapple all cut into spears in the fridge and oranges on the counter, but they weren't going to be enough to settle my sugar need.

Picking myself up this week to start a 100% whole7 tomorrow morning to get my brain back on track, but I'm still curious about the opposite cravings and if anyone else has experienced this flip flop. I also wonder if this sudden and random change of cravings could mean my body is about to do a serious big change like a weight drop or something of that sort? Oh I hope I haven't screwed that up by giving into the compulsive feeling this week. Back on track. Back on track. Back on track. Yup. Picking up myself and today I start eating well again since those compulsive cravings are gone.

Pre whole 30 I had sugar cravings exactly as you describe...compulsive and nothing is sweet enough. I would shovel anything that could be used as a vehicle to carry sugar... Yogurt with gobs of honey, oats with piles of sugar, yeah gross, overwhelming and crazy behavior!

I'm on day 19 of whole 30 and my cravings have done a complete 180. I am craving vegetables, oil, salt, and eggs in a normal way, not this zombie like sugar fiend.

Adding sweet potatoes and fruit to meals has helped a lot, giving good carbs so my brain can function and not send me on the desperate sugar quest! Eating fat with meals has been amazing.

I read an article here (or maybe the success guide?) that said if you get the sugar tremors, eat some fat!

Good luck!

Actually since I did the whole30 in February I really haven't had cravings for anything which has been super nice. It completely kicked my habit to chips and other such salty crap.

What I'm wondering is if there is anything to the odd & sudden sugar craving - not carb craving, but serious hard core sugar craving. It is the first time in my life that I have ever craved sugar let alone like this. I have never had a sweet tooth and don't even like most sugary foods like cake other than the occasional bite. It just seemed to so odd and sudden and so opposite to my whole life!

For carbs I'd say I'm right around the 50-75 mark per day via veggies & fruits and the odd nut or piece of dark chocolate.

For what it's worth: Like gogo, pre-Whole 30 my biggest cravings were always for sugar. During the first three days of the Whole 30 I found myself really craving alcohol, which I'm convinced was just another form of sugar craving. Happily those cravings went away (what freedom! it was awesome) but for a good two months after the Whole 30 I had a raging salt craving unlike any craving I'd ever known. I finally figured out that when you quit eating processed food after having eaten it most of your life, one of your primary sources of sodium is gone. I suspect that, since I never really cooked with a lot of salt before, what little sodium I'd been getting prior to the Whole 30 was coming mostly from processed foods. Since then I've become a lot more generous with salt when cooking.

Think about what the body uses sugar for and see if you can get that use fulfilled via other foods. I agree again with gogo regarding sweet potatoes and fruit.

Archived