HabitualPurpose Whole 30

habitualpurpose

Day 1 Lunch:

- Big salad with greens, 2 eggs, brocollini, avocado, and mushrooms. Tossed with a dressing of EVOO, balsamic vinegar and compliant dijon mustard.

- 1 banana

Lunch was so good--but I am so full!! Is this common? I don't usually eat this much vegetables in one sitting and I'm stuffed. Also, I think I may have missed mention of how much protein I should be getting. Will have to go back and look that up.

Planning on making a version of chicken fajitas tonight (with no beans, rice or tortillas--which honestly won't be missed).

Welcome, Nina!

Your meals sound delicious. A typical serving size of protein is about the size of your palm. - or how many eggs you can hold. Protein is recommended at each meal.

The feeling of fullness can certainly come as a result of your body getting used to digesting those complex carbs! Give it a little time to adjust and you'll be good to go.

Best wishes!

Thanks so much, Jeanye!

Overall today has gone pretty well. It's been a busy day with family taking care of extended family so I ended up eating a late dinner by myself at home (my kiddos had already eaten)--so a day with 2 salads.

Also, today is my first day with no coffee (didn't have coconut milk and am not quite ready for cold turkey black coffee) and also no diet pepsi. I drank a little green tea with breakfast and have been having water the rest of the day.

I think it's been a good day. :)

Day 1 Dinner:

- Salad with lettuce, avocado, egg, crab meat, olives.

Day1 Snack:

- pistachios

- combo of blackberries and raspberries

Ugh....this afternoon has been rough. A day of meetings one after the other and no time to throw together the salad with egg and tuna I had planned. Ended up eating a handful of pistachios and a larabar during one of the meetings (secret stash for emergency). The salad will have to hold til tomorrow.

Day 2 "Lunch":

- pistachios

- larabar

Ooops...I missed logging yesterday. I'll include it here.

Day 3 Breakfast:

- 2 eggs

- Banana

Day 3 Lunch:

I struggled with this--seems getting lunch in at work is difficult. Blah!

Day 3 Dinner:

- Huge salad with 1 chicken breast, lettuce, brocollini, avocado and dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard

Day 3 Snack:

- pistachios

---

Day 4 Breakfast:

- 1 egg, 1 bannana

Day 4 Lunch:

- Big salad with lettuce, brocollini and 1 package of tuna in water

Day 4 Snack:

- Larabar

Day 4 Dinner:

- 4 eggs, blackberries, raspberries, chicken salad made of chicken breast and homemade mayo (yay--first time making it!)

Day 4 2nd Snack:

- pistachios

Couple of things that might help…

Protein in the morning – you can cook up your eggs the night before, they keep very nice, just pop in the microwave to reheat. Or, make enough dinner the night before to have leftovers for breakfast. There is nothing wrong with having steak, ribs, chicken, burgers, etc. for breakfast and it is actually fun. If I had a yummy dinner, I can't wait for breakfast! Ha!

Leads me to my next suggestion…lunch. You mentioned lunches are difficult at work. Same as above…make enough dinner the night before and have them for breakfast and lunch.

Also, for meetings, you could pre-pack some chopped up chicken breast, olives, sweet potato cubes, hard boiled eggs, beef jerky (I like these ones http://www.primalpacs.com/ ) Even pre-cut some fruit or avocado You get the point. I got a bunch of those little Tupperware things and a huge insulated bag…I take a lot of food to work. If it doesn't get eaten, I take it home. At least I have it vs. not have it and find myself in an emergency situation.

Hope this helps!

Couple of things that might help…

Protein in the morning – you can cook up your eggs the night before, they keep very nice, just pop in the microwave to reheat. Or, make enough dinner the night before to have leftovers for breakfast. There is nothing wrong with having steak, ribs, chicken, burgers, etc. for breakfast and it is actually fun. If I had a yummy dinner, I can't wait for breakfast! Ha!

Leads me to my next suggestion…lunch. You mentioned lunches are difficult at work. Same as above…make enough dinner the night before and have them for breakfast and lunch.

Also, for meetings, you could pre-pack some chopped up chicken breast, olives, sweet potato cubes, hard boiled eggs, beef jerky (I like these ones http://www.primalpacs.com/ ) Even pre-cut some fruit or avocado You get the point. I got a bunch of those little Tupperware things and a huge insulated bag…I take a lot of food to work. If it doesn't get eaten, I take it home. At least I have it vs. not have it and find myself in an emergency situation.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, Carie. This does help! I hadn't thought of making my eggs the night before--great idea!

I have been taking good protein lunches with me to work--my challenge has been getting time to throw them on a plate and eat them. Yesterday was better though and my hope is that today will be too. I do think I need to get better at pre-preparing stuff to be able to easily grab and take with me.

Thanks again!

Day 5 Breakfast:

- 2.5oz package of tuna

- 1 banana

- 1/2 cup black coffee

Looking forward to lunch!

Day 5 Lunch:

- Big salad with lettuce, brocollini, chicken salad made with chicken salad, green onion and homemade mayo (yay!), and avocado. YUM!

- 1 cup black coffee

Day 5 Dinner:

- 1 chicken thigh made with a sauce of coconut oil, mustard and lime

- Big salad with leftover chicken salad from lunch, lettuce, mushrooms and avocado

I feel great!

Day 6:

Today has been a good day. I think I'm in the groove! :)

Breakfast:

- 2 eggs

- 1 banana

Lunch:

- Big salad with lettuce, brocollini, avocado and chicken salad made with homemade mayo and red onion

Dinner:

- Pulled Pork - Recipe found on the Whole 9 forum. Was DELICIOUS. Can be found here: http://everydaypaleo...sy-pulled-pork/

- Salad with lettuce, mushrooms and avocado

I feel content.

Day 7:

I seem to be waking up easier and feeling rested. Less joint pain in the morning today too. Yay!

Breakfast:

Delicious breakfast this morning!

- Omelet made in coconut oil with 4 eggs, mushrooms and onions

- 1/2 cup of blackberries

Lunch:

- leftover pulled pork with 1/2 avocado

- salad: lettuce, brocollini, 1/2 avocado and dressing made from homemade mayo, crushed garlic and pepper

Dinner:

- shrimp cooked in coconut oil, garlic and pepper

- green beans (didn't end up with a second vegetable...blah)

The week has gone by quickly. I don't seem to be experiencing much in the way of cravings. Although I will admit that I looked longingly at the boxes of diet pepsi when at the store earlier. I am proud of myself for truly eating whole-good-for-me-foods for the past week. Looking forward to this next one!

Day 8:

Happy Father's Day!

Great day spent with family today at my parents. I ended up bringing part of the meal which helped a bunch--thought my parents do tend to eat fairly healthy. I made salmon last night which we ate cold along with homemade mayo. Also brought along a nice cucumber salad. My mom had some fruit available as well as some black beach chips (which I did not eat) and some cake (which I also didn't eat). What was fascinating is I had no feelings about missing out on the chocolate cake. Before Whole30 I would have eagerly had a piece. Today I felt more like, eh, I don't need it. Yay!

Breakfast:

- scrambled eggs made with cononut oil, onions and mushrooms

Lunch:

- salmon with homemade mayo for garnish

- cucumber salad with cucs, red onion, parsley, and mayo sauce

- 1/2 c blueberries

Dinner:

- a repeat of lunch...salmon with homemade mayo and cucumber salad

Snacks:

- almond butter

- pistachios

Hey Nina, you look like you're doing great! I can't wait to start and enjoy all those salads!

Have you tried snacking on some protein in the evening? As long as you are ACTUALLY hungry. I'd always drink some water first and leave it 20-30 minutes.

I made my own jerky/biltong and must admit, it always filled that gap for me. I personally can't eat the packaged stuff, it never tastes real for me.

John

Thanks, John! I will try the water trick to assess whether or not I am hungry--though I will say it sure seems like I am. I've been snacking on nuts mostly in the late evening which might not be the way for me to go.

Hi Nina!

Don't be afraid to add more protein and fat. You said your protein has been the recommended palm size, that is good, but don't be afraid to have more. Fat too.

Also, what time do you eat dinner? If it is early, perhaps see if you can stretch it so that it is a bit later in the evening. Or, maybe that just means you need to go to bed earlier. Ha!

Just some things to think about…eat more.

btw...here is the list of fat recommendations. thought i would post here so you have it handy. this may help as well...

all oils - 1-2 thumb sized portions

all butters - 1-2 thumb sized portions

olives - one open heaping handful

coconut flakes - one open heaping handful

nuts and seeds - one closed handful

avocado - 1/2 - 1

coconut milk - between 1/4 and 1/2 of one 14oz can.

Day 10:

Breakfast:

- A bit of a failure--which comes with not planning. In a rush to get me and kids out the door, I made myself eggs in the microwave. I've done it before and they've been fine but today I cooked them too long and blech! Rubbery. Ended up eating a Larabar at work

Lunch:

- Chicken salad made with chicken breast and homemade mayo. Added avocado too. Yum.

- Banana

Dinner:

- Big salad with lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, 2 eggs, chicken

- 1/2 cup mixed berries

Snack:

- Pistachios

As you probably noticed, I had a hard time getting enough veggies in today.

Day 12:

Breakfast:

- 2 hard boiled eggs

- 1 banana

Lunch:

- 2.5 oz package of tuna

- 1 hard boiled egg

- salad (lettuce, spinach and chard)

- 1 avocado

Dinner:

- 2 chicken thighs cooked in coconut oil, lime juice and dijon mustard

- salad made of lettuce, chard, mushroom and avocado

Snacks:

- olives

- pistachios

- coffee with coconut milk

Day 13:

Breakfast:

- 2 hardboiled eggs

- 1 banana

Lunch:

- 2.5 oz package of tuna

- 1 hard boiled egg

- salad (lettuce, spinach and chard)

- 1 avocado

Dinner:

- GF ground beef cooked with onion and some spices and topped with salsa fresca and avocadosalad

- salad (lettuce, chard, mushroom, avocado

I posted this on the trouble shooting board but will also post it here in case anyone reading has ideas...

"For a long time I have eaten red meat very sparingly. I am on day 13 of my Whole30 and today was the first day during it that I've eaten beef. I cooked GF ground beef with onion and some spices and then topped it with salsa and avocado (it was delish!). I also had a salad which nothing out of my norm in it. About 15 minutes after finishing the beef dish I suddenly felt REALLY low energy--like I wanted to take a nap. I haven't felt this way after a meal in Whole30 before. Any idea why? It's now been about 40 minutes and I'm still quite low energy."

Thanks for any insight!

Archived