Supplements for Immune System Health

merebear

Hey all,

My husband is going on his third deployment sometime in the coming weeks. In the past, the stress of him being gone, and knowing that he was in a combat zone, has wreaked havoc on my immune system and sleep cycles. As clean as I tried to eat, I still managed to pick up every bug that came along. Seriously. EVERY bug. This time around, I'd like things to be different. I need your advice!

1. I need suggestions for a solid immune system supplement.

2. I need something to help me get the rest I need. I'm pretty sure Advil PM is not the best thing to take.

3. I need supplements for stress and anxiety management. Do they even make those?

4. I probably need something to keep my gut healthy, as well.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

I seriously can't thank you enough.

Meredith

GABA and 5HTP are good for stress. GABA is a "take as needed" type thing, but 5HTP is a daily supplement. Obviously, read up and see if they seem like a good fit for you.

I'm sure other folks have help for the other questions. If you do start getting sick, Zinc is really helpful -- it apparently messes up the way viruses work in the body, so it helps you kick illnesses faster.

I remember reading somewhere that GABA supplementation is essentially a placebo, because it doesn't penetrate the blood/brain barrier. (it's supposed to be synthesized in the brain).

Supplementing the precursors instead may be more effective, but before you start messing with neurotransmitters, you should really know what you're doing/consult with somebody that does.

Sounds crazy, but since I've started taking my Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsule (I'm taking half the recommended dose) I have not gotten sick at all. I had a little diarrhea from my Whole 30, but I have had several people in my office who have had horrible colds. Absolutely awful. They're passing it around like a hot potato...but I haven't gotten it. We're talking doctor's note to stay home from work sick (I'm also in the military, so we can't just call in sick). I'd like to take it longer to give a more impressive-sounding length of time than about a month's worth of time, but it's a start. My immune system was terrible before. Taking a probiotic helped too - I'm on Bio-Kult and have been for almost a year. It definitely helped my digestive health, but didn't do much for my immune system (did minimize hubby's incessant throat clearing though).

Archived