Need a cute toddler-friendly Valentine idea!

Emily Demeter

Just got a note from my 19-month-old's daycare that they are having a Valentine party next week. I was told to bring "cookies, cupcakes, candy or some kind of 'treat' for the kids". The thought of my BABY son gorging himself on these things all day makes me nauseous, but I have really tried to be a good sport where the daycare is involved. I pack him healthy lunches and we eat Paleo at home, but I try to tell myself that the snack they feed him 3 times a week isn't going to cause as much harm as him feeling like "an outsider" while every one else participates. That being said, I would LOVE a cute but at least somewhat healthy idea to bring to this Valentine party! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Can you do a non-food Valentine? I know this would only mean something to your son, but last year I gave my daughter a valentine card I made with a picture of her on one side and a picture of my husband and I on the other. She really loved it and still likes to look at it now. Maybe you could do some picture oriented thing for all the daycare kids since toddlers really like looking at photographs. Maybe animals or something? You could make heart shaped cardboard cards that have different pictures on them or something. That is if you can do non-food treats.

Otherwise, my family has tried a few recipes out of the Eat Like a Dinosaur cookbook. They have a whole chapter on kid-friendly deserts. Here is one that's actually on their website: http://paleoparents.com/2011/german-chocolate-cake-balls/

That's a really great cookbook for kids, if you haven't seen it or own in already.

Good luck!

What about cutting out fruit in heart shapes? I've seen it on Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/pin/27584616438484063/

Like little Valentine's Day fruit kabobs? http://fastpaleo.com/paleo-approved-valentines-day-treat/

Also, Paleo Parents did a roundup of Valentine's Day treats last year - http://paleoparents.com/featured/a-healthy-valentines-recipe-round-up/

Thank you both...these are some great resources! We do have "Eat Like a Dinosaur"...I will give it a look when I get home. Love the Valentine's Day treat roundup too --- so cute! I really like the chocolate-dipped heart-shaped fruit!

Thanks for the photo idea too, Casey. We are supposed to bring valentines in addition to the food, so that is a great idea to go above and beyond the traditional boxed valentines. I am sure my little guy would love helping me make them too. :)

I came here to recommend the heart-cutout fruits, too! Or chocolate dipped strawberries (so fancy, but perhaps less work). There's also tons of great paleo treat recipes -- not Whole30 compliant, but good for such occasions. Macaroons, for example, are pretty easy to make. Civilized Caveman has a great chocolate chip-coconut cookie idea, and PaleoOMG has cupcakes and all kinds of things.

I just called my Mom for a suggestion on where to get the small heart-shaped cutter...since I only had a cookie-sized one. Turns out she already had one in one of her kits! So that was a great suggestion and an easy solution. Thanks again everyone for all these resources, because his daycare does a giant treat-fest for just about every little occasion. I am sure this will come up again!

What about savory kinds of snacks? I am in a similar boat, working on my daughter's Valentine party, but another mom is bringing a chocolate fondue fountain (would be great if she wasn't using candy melts for the "chocolate"-gag!) so I am wanting to bring something not so sweet! Thanks for any ideas. Am I hijacking this thread? Not intentional.

What about savory kinds of snacks? I am in a similar boat, working on my daughter's Valentine party, but another mom is bringing a chocolate fondue fountain (would be great if she wasn't using candy melts for the "chocolate"-gag!) so I am wanting to bring something not so sweet! Thanks for any ideas. Am I hijacking this thread? Not intentional.

Not hijacking at all! I think all of us moms need as much inspiration as we can get, especially when so much of the material out there to "help" us is SAD at its worst! Some of the things I see on Pinterest are a nightmare...

Archived