Goodbye Sugar Monster!

seaglassgreen

Today is my day 5 :)

I generally have been eating pretty paleo for the past couple years, but I will have weeks at a time where I am totally off-wagon, eating lots of sugar and drinking lots of alcohol. So, this Whole30 seemed necessary to get me back on track. I've tried a whole30 once before, but I'm not sure I made it the whole way.

I feel lucky in that it's day 5 and I didn't have any headache or EXTREME tiredness like I have had in the past when I clean up my diet. I suppose it could still be coming ;) I did have a mini-fit last night (Kill all the things?) about just wanting to eat sugar and feeling like I'll never be not-fat anyway. Which is a terrible attitude. I figure it was my inner sugar monster throwing a fit, in hopes that I would eat sugar to make it feel better. But I did not! So there!

I think I've been waking up easier, and I think I already have improved energy levels... judging by the fact that I'm in the library (procrastinating) on a paper not due til Sunday, instead of laying on the couch watching TLC. #smallvictories ;)

Day 8!

Still feeling good. I did feel tired enough on Wednesday that I slept for like 9 hours and then took an afternoon nap. Otherwise, I've completed 1.5 papers in the meantime :P. I'm going to post about my general dislike for food in one of the other food forums.

Full disclosure: I would have totally eaten some chocolate mousse made of a avocado, dates, and coconut milk yesterday, if I had been able to figure out a way to make it not taste like avocado+dirt. By the time i finished food processing, I was like, this is dumb, and I washed it down the sink.

I've had a couple weird food dreams lately... a couple nights ago I dreamt I broke my whole30 by eating one of those apple pie pockets from Taco Bell? Like something I probably have eaten once in my life, almost a decade ago? And then last night I think I was dreaming about drinking Miller Light. Geez Dream Me, can't we dream about something good??

Tonight, I ate SUSHI. I don't feel entirely bad about it. Back to whole30 tomorrow. Considering it a sign of improvement that I just had sushi and not any alcohol, chocolate, dessert, etc. I was going out for dinner with my sister and meant to go to Bonefish Grill and stay on track, but there was an HOUR wait. And I made the mistake of letting myself get really hungry before dinner. I certainly didn't have to go off plan, it was a choice. Part of me (Sugar Monster?) was quite sure that a little rice and sauce aren't really detrimental in the context of whole30 eating... which I'm pretty sure is actually true, except for the point being you have to wait 30 days to get a good clean start.

Ok, let's call this day 1. Really good dinner: roasted chicken, roasted tomatoes, zoodles, and pesto. I did weigh myself for my restart. I went from 192.2 to 188.2 (-4) in 8 days. Did some light hiking today, found a new trail near our house. Then did some grocery restock at Trader Joe's :) my favorite.

Day 2. Scrambled eggs, guacamole, salsa, sugar snap peas around 11:30. Did some cleaning and then went for about a 6.5 mile hike. Picked up a few more things at TJs (oh TJs). Made Shakshuka (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/04/shakshuka/ without feta or bread obviously), and sauteed some shaved brussels sprouts in olive oil, yum! Finished up my food for the day with strawberries, and now just hanging out, excited to watch The Walking Dead :)

Day 3. Slept from like 11:30-7, but was pretty tired today. I'm sure that I feel more rested when I go to bed earlier. Took a (2 hour) nap, and had a dream that involved eating part of a fortune cookie, because I didn't know they weren't whole30-approved. fortune cookie?? geez.

I ate: leftover Shashuka and a chicken leg for breakfast, 2 chicken legs with tomatoes, baby carrots, and guac for lunch. Dinner is steak salad. Going to work on hard boiling some eggs and cooking some chicken thighs so there's leftovers for lunches and breakfasts for later this week :)

Oh, and I tried the 2 minute mayo from: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html yesterday. I used a 2-cup glass measuring cup, and it worked perfectly. I've been a big fan of Well Fed's mayo, but this is actually a lot faster, and the immersion blender is easier to clean than the food pro. I was really excited to know that if I run out of mayo, I can whip some up in just a few minutes!

Day 5 (again). Having a bad attitude. Just finished first clinical shift of this semester and I am SO tired, and I am almost-but-not-quite craving brownies and alcohol. It's also mid-period for me. I think I'm going to take a nap again. By the way, yesterday as I was cooking dinner, I noticed that the TJs taco seasoning mix I've used several times has cane sugar in it. Waaaaah. Less than 1 gram per serving, times 12 servings per packet divided by actually eating 3 servings because it only seasons a pound of meat... Is 3 or less grams of sugar. But whole30 is no sugar. So should I make it a whole35? I kind of feel like all this strictness and restarting are really restrictive and not sustainable. And I know the whole30 isn't supposed to be sustainable. But ahhhh. And my spring break is the first week of march, and I don't think I will make myself be compliant the ENTIRE break... It just feels like strictness for the sake of strictness. I know paleo is awesome. I know I should eat like this all the time. But worrying about things like the tiny added sugar in otherwise fine foods is something that is threatening to make me neurotic. What should I do?

Day 6. Ate chicken thighs + avocado for breakfast, egg salad on romaine+added TJ's mixed chopped veg for lunch, hot italian sausage + sauteed shaved brussels sprouts + mashed sweet potatoes for dinner. Also had about 1/2 cup of orange juice. Pretty sure I'm fighting a virus, BF is sick and he never gets sick. I've still been feeling tired- yesterday I did take a 2 hour nap, and then slept from 10-8:30. Hopefully the bad attitude is just part of being sick :P Had a convo with a friend about the whole30 being a gimmick, and I should just eat good foods MOST OF THE TIME, with occasional "bad foods". isn't that the most common sense thing you've ever heard? The problem is that I'm generally TERRIBLE at self-moderating. Which as I typed that, I realized it's probably due to the psychological/hormonal food issues created BY THE FOODS THEMSELVES. #shocker

Day 8 (16 incl sushi-incident-and-before).

around 10:30 I had chicken thighs, curry-carrot-coconutmilk-puree, and some of Trader Joe's Healthy 8 chopped veggie mix (this is my new favorite thing) with cumin-lime-mayo dressing from Well Fed. I felt really energized and happy. Then I went and did some studying at Starbucks, and drank some unsweetened iced green tea. Idk if it was the tea or frustration about studying, but I was fairly grumpy this afternoon. Or maybe it was because I wasn't hungry, so I didn't really eat "lunch". whoops! Did some wading in a creek looking for arrowheads this afternoon, small amount of walking. Dinner: roasted chicken, roasted baby zucchini, and salad with more cumin-lime-mayo dressing, veg mix, tomatoes, and avocado. Feeling good now :)

I didn't log yesterday... it was something like egg salad+choppedveg+sauerkraut around 11, iced green tea around 2, then a salad with chicken thighs and chopped veg and cumin-lime dressing for lunch around 3:30 or so, then for dinner around 8 a chile-lime chicken burger, carrot puree, and roasted green beans. I was working in the library til about 6, and when I got home I was really worn out I guess, and I don't remember exactly what triggered it, but I actually started crying about feeling fat and not pretty and nobody likes me and just wanting to eat bad things (mac and cheese, pizza, brownies, ice cream). craziness!

9(~17). Meal 1: chicken drumsticks, curry carrot puree, chopped veg+cumin lime dressing. Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon studying and poking around online. Meal 2: Chipotle! Salad with carnitas, 3 salsas, guacamole. yay! Went to Trader Joe's and got a bunch of food for this week. Also got mint and green tea to try out, made the mint this afternoon, it was a nice change :). Meal 3: hamburger + sweet potato puree + sauteed shaved brussels sprouts. Was still hungry, so I ate another 1/2 hamburger with a little bit of mayo on top and finished up the carrot puree. Pretty much immediately after I ate I developed an upset stomach- feels upset in the intestinal region, if you will. I'm not sure exactly why? It is all stuff I generally eat. Maybe too much fat all at once?

Mood-wise, I felt pretty calm and stable today, generally pretty happy. Relatively good energy, tho I did sleep from like 10:30 to 9:30. lots of sleeping! Going to bed now, have a test in the morning, hoping to wake up early enough to squeeze a little extra studying in!

10 (~18).

I ate:

1) egg bake with spinach, mushrooms, onions.

2) roasted chicken breast, mixed veg with mayo dressing, avocado

3) tri-tip steak, roasted broccoli, roasted tomatoes, mashed sweet potatoes

Also had a glass of iced mixed green/mint tea this afternoon, and iced mint tea (it's caffeine free) this evening.

What else:

Test went ok. Was fairly productive this afternoon, but still didn't accomplish a lot- have a very busy week ahead. I thought for sure I would need a nap, but I didn't end up taking one. Felt pretty happy, with some school stress. Friend told me he ate an entire sleeve of thin mints, and I said "that sounds amazing". And then I realized that I've only bought girl scout cookies like once in my life, and I think it's still the sugar monster just searching for weaknesses. But it's day 10! (or 18!), shouldn't the sugar monster be shutting the hell up?

13 (~21)

I have been so busy this week! Test and group projects and papers and double clinicals. But now it's ALMOST spring break, I just have a paper to finish up tomorrow :)

1: egg bake (spinach, onions, mushrooms) + avocado

2: cut up TJ's chicken sausage + tomatoes+ cucumber + guacamole packet (This is the lunch I've eaten for about every day this week)

3: applegate grassfed hot dogs+sweet potatoes+evoo+ kale chips. still hungry a while later so ate 1/2 apple + almond butter

drank an iced green tea at Starbucks around 5 so I could accomplish more things after my clinical day. drinking water with lemon now. have been loving TJ's Mint Melange tea, but not so loving their green tea... maybe i'm making it wrong? Tastes bitter :P

I haven't really been craving, per se, but things like beer, chocolate, Chuy's happy hour nachos+margaritas, wine... all still sound good. Any thoughts?

14 (~22).

1: spaghetti squash+evoo+ground beef-puttanesca sauce

-iced green tea at Starbucks

2. chipotle- salad+carnitas+salsas+guac. yum!

3. chile lime chicken burger, roasted green beans, sauteed shaved brussels sprouts, half apple, almond butter.

Got a lot of work done today. Woke up feeling almost bright eyed and bushy tailed, if you can believe that after this SUPER LONG week. I do feel like I might be fighting a little cold or something. I cheated and weighed myself this morning. 185.4 (down 6.8 lbs in 22 days). I know that's bad... I keep the scale in the top of the closet, but it's still too easy.. I should take the battery out too.

Soooo. Today we were going to visit BF's dad. We were running late, so I just had a HB egg with mayo on our way out the door, and then an iced green tea. Then we just went for late lunch and basically the reasonable priced choice appeared to be a hamburger without bun, and without sides. Which sounded really weird to order in front of my BF's parents. So then I spotted a special- portabella mushroom stuffed with seafood, fresh veg, and cheese. Well obviously the cheese was not compliant, but as far as offroading goes, it seemed fairly innocuous. Long story short, I'm pretty sure there were breadcrumbs. mini victory- not eating BFs fries after I was already off. Or having drinks.

Full disclosure- it's Spring Break! I may be doing some more offroading in the next while. I'm fully planning to be 80-90% compliant, and then start a real whole30 (without sushi or cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever the hell else) after. So, let's call this the closing of whole14(22). I lost almost 8 lbs, and my clothes are feeling a little looser. I think my mood and energy is improving in general. I'll be back!

Update: came home for my brother's birthday, off-plan items included 1/3 ear corn, 2 red potatoes, a bit of butter and sour cream, some blue cheese, 2 7oz limearitas, a piece of birthday cake, and a scoop of ice cream. Something about the dessert made my nose get all sniffly, which is a symptom I definitely dont get from whole30 foods. Furthermore, nothing but the alcoholic beverages tasted "worth it" at all... Not worth pushing more nutritious foods off my plate. And I would have thought chocolate cake with chocolate frosting would be like nirvana, but it wasn't that good! REMEMBER THIS! Sugary treats are PROBABLY A TRICK!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! I ate EVERYTHING! I was like the very hungry caterpillar :P The only things I ate that I think were REALLY as good as I thought they would be were some drinks. And maybe mexican food :P Cake, ice cream, most cheese, pizza... all not really as good as I expected them to be.

Anyway, I'm back! It's day 1! I'm sipping mint tea. I've been thinking a lot about eating patterns... How do I become healthy/moderate? How can I eat paleo for more than a few weeks at a time? It seems like I always do really well for a few weeks, and then I "fall off the wagon" for more than just a day or two. Ideally, I would like to eat paleo almost all the time, with some cheese or drinks or tacos or whatever very infrequently. I'm just not sure how to get there.

1: 3 fried eggs, tiny bit of avocado, sautéed Brussels sprouts.

2: egg bake with spinach, peppers/onions, mushrooms. Should have put guac or something on it, I was really hungry by late afternoon.

3: roasted chicken breast (this is pretty much my favorite thing I cook), roasted green beans, sautéed Brussels sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes. I cooked with olive oil, and put a little extra on top of the sweet potato.

Day 1. Felt productive in the kitchen, and was productive in my school work. Now it's 9:15, I'm in bed about to do some light reading and go to sleep :)

Hello! Day 2!

1: 3 fried eggs, avocado, mashed sweet potato

2: 2 roasted chicken legs, frozen veg mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) with olive oil on top

3: ROGAN JOSH. I love that recipe from Well Fed!! Also, pureed curried carrots with coconut milk, and roasted cauliflower. It seems like potentially too much coconut milk at one time since it was in the Rogan Josh and in the carrots.. hmm.

This afternoon I cooked up a bunch of different veg to have as leftovers later this week (roasted broccoli, roasted tomatoes, mashed sweet potatoes). Stocked up on veg, guac, and light OO (for mayo) at Sam's. Just finishing watching a Project Runway, then get to bed and maybe do a little reading, try to go to sleep early. maybe i'll try Natural Calm tonight. I took a digestive enzyme with 2 of my meals today. The bottle says to take one with meal... though I know ISWF says take 2 or 3 with each meal? maybe i'll see if I notice improvement and then take more if I don't see any.

1: 2 chicken legs, coconut-carrot puree, 1/2 avocado

2: egg bake with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions, topped with guac

3: salad- spring mix, tomatoes, raisins, Creamy Italian dressing, avocado. l/o Rogan Josh, more curried carrots.

Forgot to take super enzymes before I ate, whoops.

Had a weird experience today... at clinical I knew a couple men's weights. One of them was 202 lbs. Let's say he was 5'8". I am 5'2", and approx 185-190lbs. How was this rather overweight man only 10lbs heavier than me?? Either I have no concept of how fat I really look, or I must be carrying a LOT of muscle to weigh more than I look like I should. craziness.

1: chicken thighs, carrot puree, roasted broccoli

had upset stomach (cramps-diarrhea) all morning. not planning on taking that magnesium tonight :P tho i am curious about whether it was the magnesium or salad.

2: 1 hot dog, sweet potato mash

3: chicken thighs, sweet potato mash, roasted broccoli

having some hot mint tea now. got home from clinical about 9. have class at 8:30 tho so need to get to bed soon.

Archived