Post whole30...vacation survived!!

suzytee

Well, I'm feeling quite good about spending a week in Florida in a condo with another couple who eat whatever they want. My hubby and son have totally derailed...hubby for good, but son "knows" that it isn't good and has promised to rejoin me when we get home. I planned well, taking apples, almond butter, hard boiled eggs, and pistachio nuts with me on the flight just in case there would be no other options for me. I brought all the spices needed for Melissa's no fuss salmon cakes and made them for lunches. I'm sure that when we ate out there was possibly some dairy(cheese) sprinkled on my veggies, but other than that, I feel great that I made it through the week without being too obnoxious about my needs and feel like I totally survived and stayed on track with Whole9 and except for wine...almost Whole30 though I officially finished that Jan. 30. I had planned only to buy a bottle of organic wine and space it carefully throughout the week , but our friends had supplied a box o wine so it was way too tempting. So perhaps another Whole30 will be needed to get back on track with that though it was no problem during my Whole30. Anyway...just wanted to shout out my victory at maintaining my great new healthy eating style!!

Suzytee that's fantastic. I'm so glad the vacation went well for you. Just shows what a bit of planning can do :) I'm sure with your brillliant example you'll get your son back on track now you're home. It's probably for the best that he had what he wanted on vacation so he didn't feel deprived and, as you say, he knows what's best. Good luck and all the best.

Thanks you guys! It actually wasn't as hard as I had imagined. I made mayo early in the week and just bought what I needed when we went to the grocery. I did make a startling discovery at the store when buying tuna!! I had no idea that almost all the cans of white tuna contain soy. So I guess my Whole30 was a bit compromised but now I know. I'm not gonna fret on that at this point. I ordered as carefully as possible when eating out and just stuck to the template at every meal. I had leftover grilled flounder with my sauteed veggies for breakfast and it was delish!! I am so psyched to have all kinds of food for meal #1 now!! To be honest, I wasn't even tempted by any of the junk food. My immediate thoughts are how awful they are to eat and I just can't go back there. I have so much "in the bank" and I'm holding on to that! It's a great feeling. I"m sure I talked way to much about food....but spent the week with my best friend of 35 + years so we can talk about anything :).

I just got back from a weekend in France with two friends, so I made it through the same way you did! Nuts, fresh fruits, almond butters for snacks. Cooked compliant stuff for us, and didn't fuss too much over the meals out - I'd choose the most compliant thing and either pick out non-compliant ingredients (I don't speak French, so just ordering normally is an ordeal, let alone special ordering) or stick with a drink and my snacks in my bag! Surprisingly, most restaurants had at least one thing that was close enough to compliant to order! Could there have been minute traces of something in the dressing on my salad or the cassoulet sauce? Yes, but at some point you just have to live your life. And the touch of wine I tried on my tongue...it wasn't even enough to swallow, so it was less than communion. Maybe not the right answer, but I was in France. C'est la vie?

Archived