Light Exercise & Whole30 Tuning

KC Sunshine

Hey all,

I injured my shoulder and knee last week, and Whole30 is my plan to continue making health gains while I can't really work out.

However, even though I can't work out intensely (no burpees :( ), I'm doing 5-10 minutes of rehab exercises & stretches in the morning and evening.

Additionally, I walk about a total of 100 minutes a day - 2 x 40 minute blocks as I commute to and from school, and then a few 5-10 minute blocks as I travel throughout the day.

Although not intense, would this level of exercise warrant additional snacks / meals? If so, how would you recommend structuring them time-wise (i.e. when I get to school? Before I walk back? Before/after rehab exercises in the morning?)?

Thanks!

-Casey

• Moderators

Walking probably does not rise to the level of calling for bonus meals/snacks even through you are burning more energy than if you commuted by car. Bonus meals become important when you are achieving intensity that puts strain on your muscles. That said, if you get hungry, you can eat a snack.

• 2 weeks later...

What would you say about somewhat longer commutes? I work out pretty intense almost every day (lifting free weights 2-3x a week, spin class 2-3x a week) but somewhat take "off days" where I only bike to and from school, work, and wherever I'm hanging out that night (anywhere from 10-20 mi, and yes, I have to do this riding on workout days too). I ride a cruiser, so although my rides are moderate-high intensity this might end up being 1 1/2 hr or more of riding. Should I be eating an extra "mini meal" or two throughout the day? It's hard to define pre and post workout when your entire day feels like one ongoing workout sometimes.

Redhot.... Let your energy level and true hunger be your guide... If you are starving on those days and feel sluggish then an extra meal would be In order...

For me I usually like to ( on light days or endurance)... on just some coconut milk in my coffee, but if I'm lifting heavy, or doing MetaCon I will eat three eggs and some nuts pre.... But I will definatly eat lean protein immidiatly post a strenuous work out

Thanks! Yea I keep a can of coconut milk in the fridge to cook with and definitely have been finding myself taking more and more sips from it..and always have a pop top can or two of tuna in my schoolbag for lifts I do right before class.

What is MetaCon?

Metacon.... Short for metabolic conditioning.... Basically crossfit utilizes this.... But a workout anywhere from 30 min to an hour... Warmup, full tilt 100% effort ( jump boxes into dead lifts,into burpees, into kettlebell snach) two- three min ... Then active cool down for a min and then hit it again and again.... So your training your heart rate and as time goes by you recover quicker and quicker....

Or sprint/ walk/ sprint/ walk.... Any thing that goes for resting heart rate to max and back again

Archived