Day 1 today!

cmenis

My husband and I have been slowly moving to a paleo diet due to my own health issues. I have Celiac, hypothyroidism, and other food intolerances. I decided doing a Whole30 would be the perfect way to push me into committing to healthier lifestyle full time. I am a little nervous though b/c in the past I've not had much will power to say no to the foods I shouldn't be eating.

• Moderators

It helps to focus on everything you can eat. In fact, when I think of all the healthy things I want to eat, I sometimes have trouble packing it all in. I frequently get to the end of a day and haven't eaten everything that has vitamins and nutrients that I want regularly. For example, I would like omega3s from fish every day, but if I eat salmon, sardines, or tuna every day, I can't eat all the eggs, beef, and lamb that I want. I like chicken and pork, but a meal that includes these lesser protein sources keeps me from eating fish, beef, or lamb. So I eat fish every other day. I want to eat liver at least once per week because it is a good source of zinc, copper, selenium, and a few other things that are not common in most foods. And I want to eat at least 3 eggs per day because the nutrition in egg yolks is so important. I eat 4 most days, but sometimes I just can't squeeze any eggs into a day. And for me, no day is complete unless I have had a big serving of dark, leafy greens at at least one meal. And I keep baked sweet potatoes in my refrigerator all the time, but some days, I can't get around to eating one... You get the point. We have a lot of choices and when we begin to appreciate what good foods bring to our lives, we really want to eat them.

It helps to focus on everything you can eat. In fact, when I think of all the healthy things I want to eat, I sometimes have trouble packing it all in. I frequently get to the end of a day and haven't eaten everything that has vitamins and nutrients that I want regularly. For example, I would like omega3s from fish every day, but if I eat salmon, sardines, or tuna every day, I can't eat all the eggs, beef, and lamb that I want. I like chicken and pork, but a meal that includes these lesser protein sources keeps me from eating fish, beef, or lamb. So I eat fish every other day. I want to eat liver at least once per week because it is a good source of zinc, copper, selenium, and a few other things that are not common in most foods. And I want to eat at least 3 eggs per day because the nutrition in egg yolks is so important. I eat 4 most days, but sometimes I just can't squeeze any eggs into a day. And for me, no day is complete unless I have had a big serving of dark, leafy greens at at least one meal. And I keep baked sweet potatoes in my refrigerator all the time, but some days, I can't get around to eating one... You get the point. We have a lot of choices and when we begin to appreciate what good foods bring to our lives, we really want to eat them.

Very helpful advice Tom! Thanks!

cmenis I completely know what you mean in regards to will power. Up until I started the Whole30 if I was even in the same room as junk food, I ate it. I'm only on day 8, but the Whole30 has already been a game changer for me! I promise that you can do this. Stay focused and it will be worth it.

Archived