Earl Grey Tea

boxerkate_04

• Moderators

Drinking Earl Grey tea is okay. Bergamot oil comes from a plant - the Bergamot orange. Wikipedia cited a study where a man experienced cramps from drinking 4 liters per day of Earl Grey tea, but you should not have any problems from drinking a few cups. I used to prefer Earl Grey years ago, but nowadays it seems to turn my stomach and I avoid it in favor of herbal teas.

Herbal teas usually refer to teas made from herbs - mint, rosemary, chamomile etc.

There are also fruit teas, made from fruits (duh) - orange, blackberry, apple

There are 'real' teas made from tea plants, including all forms of black tea, white tea and green tea (so your Green Tea with Jasmine would be classified as a green tea).

However, the term 'herbal tea' is often used as a catch-all phrase to mean 'tea that is not black', and often infers that it is not caffeinated and is not served with milk. However, it is worth noting that green tea does have caffeine.

There are also many many hybrids (such as blackberry and nettle, or chamomile and elderflower). Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about classification, buy a bunch of different kinds and enjoy! I personally prefer to buy loose leaves and brew them in a pot before straining, but of the teabag brands I really like Tazo and Yogi blends of herbal and fruit teas, and I like Yorkshire Tea for my standard breakfast mug.

If you have almond milk or coconut cream with black tea, then remember to pour it before the tea (unless you are brewing it in the mug with the teabag, in which case you need the tea to brew in the hot water first). This is a controversial issue for the English, with several distinction and practices dependent on location and class. But trust me, I am right: milk goes first.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tea!

Archived