Day 4, snack attack (kinda)

Melina Simonds

Hi Everyone. This is my first Whole30. I am feeling pretty good today, some of my goals are to stop my over snacking, especially at work, I am a teacher and there are always lots of crackers and breads ALL the time! I am not making the same choices as before but I am having trouble sticking to the 3 meals a day and no snacking. Today I snacked between each meal, I ate some of the healthy options in the children's snacks: a few orange slices & olives. I think I didn't eat a big enough breakfast and started to feel anxious/hungry (I'm not sure) and I ate one small spoonful of sunbutter, and then I looked at the ingredients and it had sugar, oops!

One of the things I was dealing with this weekend was an upset, growly stomach and indigestion. I felt like maybe I was eating too much protein at some meals, that is why I cut down to one egg for breakfast. I think tomorrow I will go back to 2 eggs for breakfast.

Any tips on the snacking? I feel like I am making WAY better choices than before and not eating nearly as much! But I get that anxiety/hungry thing... maybe a psychological response coupled with not eating enough?? Do you all feel that it is very important to do three square meals?

Thanks for reading :) I'm glad to be here and to be doing the Whole30!

Hi Melina, there's no denying that 3 meals a day is ideal as the meal template shows http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

However, as you said, at the beginning it's a bit of trial and error to find out how much you need at each meal to tide you over to the next one. A snack should basically be a mini-meal, a small amount of protein, fat and veg. As the book says fruit & veg alone shouldn't be used for a snack as it's not very satiating on it's own.

I know this is much more difficult to organise at work than at home but would it be possible to take something with you until you adapt to the meal schedule? As you say, one egg for breakfast is not enough ;) if eggs are the protein it should be as many as you can hold in your hand. A lot of people have digestie troubles at the beginnin especially if they're not used to eating so much protein, it can take a while for our bodies to adjust. Many. myself included swear by digestive enzymes to help at this stage. If you're in the US the favourite brand seems to be 'Now' though being in the UK, I can't get them so use others. Hope this helps, good luck

Hi Melina,

I am a beginner as well. Day 2 for me. You may want to consider falling in love with guacamole and W30 compliant nuts. This can help get the satiety that you are looking for to thrive to the next meal.

I stated end of January, and some days I got my meals just right and didn't snack at all. Some days I feel like a snack so I eat a snack. I started doing a weekly cookup 3 weeks ago so I always have cold sliced chicken and beef, mashed up sweet potatoes- I can just dip the meat in the potato and eat like that a few slices to hold me over. Or just meat and homemade mayo- or guacamole. Better to have protein + fat than just carbohydrate alone. Your body craves nourishment and so be mindful to not deny it that by having a notion of limited portions.

Archived