Sugar in Salt... REALLY?!?!

I was reading through some posts and found some that mentioned sugar being added to salt. I used some Morton's Iodized Table Salt last night to cook my breakfast/lunch today. I looked up the ingredients to the salt just now and realized that Dextrose was added to it. Really?! This sucks!!!

I'm only on Day 1 of my Whole30 though I've been trying to eat somewhat Paleo for the last few weeks. I'm on the Whole30 Daily and was looking forward to clicking the "I Did it Button" but I guess I failed today.... Right? This sucks so bad! On Day 1 and can't even make it through. Or... can I just let this one pass for one day?

So.... After reading labels extensively and researching and researching for my parents and I.... We are on Day 23 of our Whole30 and our sea salt is the 1 and only thing that I didn't check because I had absolutely no idea that it could have sugar! I have been adding a little to several of our meals, and now I feel that I have completely failed them! I'm officially heartbroken because we have done everything else right..... :-(

So.... After reading labels extensively and researching and researching for my parents and I.... We are on Day 23 of our Whole30 and our sea salt is the 1 and only thing that I didn't check because I had absolutely no idea that it could have sugar! I have been adding a little to several of our meals, and now I feel that I have completely failed them! I'm officially heartbroken because we have done everything else right..... :-(

If sugar=sugar=sugar and we still eat fructose in limited amounts, a sprinkling of dextrose is not a complete failure. We want to limit sugars that come in otherwise nutritious foods and eliminate other sugars to teach our minds and bodies better habits. The biggest failure here is in not reading our labels and that can also be one of the best lessons.

Other slips that expose us to things such as soy and dairy are more likely to ruin a Whole30, from what I have read from Moderator Robin. This is no reason to give up, but it is something to change going forward.

Hi Maya, don't beat yourself up. You haven't failed anyone. I think it's awesome that you're doing this for you and your parents. It's just a lesson in how careful we need to be because who in their right mind would expect to find sugar in salt :wacko: Good luck with your ongoing journey I'm sure you'll do great.

• 2 years later...

Also, keep in mind that not everything is in our control- when we must eat out at a restaurant, we can't be sure that the salt they use is not dextrose-free. We also use many things, like hot sauce, that is Whole30 approved (like Cholula) that lists "salt" as an ingredient, but does not specify which salt brand. We can't live in a bubble, but it is a good idea to be diligent in the things we can control (so next time, use dextrose-free salt!). Balanced thinking is key, or you will drive yourself crazy. :)

Sugar in regular salt is allowed on Whole30:

Salt. Did you know that all iodized table salt contains sugar? Sugar (often in the form of dextrose) is chemically essential to keep the potassium iodide from oxidizing and being lost. Because all restaurant and pre-packaged foods contain salt, we’re making salt an exception to our “no added sugar” rule.

http://whole30.com/step-two/

Archived