How to get enough calcium?

Will following Whole 30 really ensure that my baby gets the calcium (and other nutrients) it needs? The last thing I want to do is harm my baby & I am hearing a number of concerns from people that I won't be able to get enough calcium on a daily basis if I restrict all dairy.

Are there certain things that I should eat every single day to ensure my calcium amount is sufficient?

• Moderators

The dairy advertisers have convinced most people that milk is the only way to get enough dairy, but they are lying. My biggest sources of calcium are dark leafy greens like kale, chard, and arugula, sardines, and canned salmon with skin and bones. Here is an article with 15 non-dairy foods that are high in calcium. Most are Whole30-compliant... http://www.healthdia...in-calcium.html

What Zoodles said is true. Your baby is stealing from you, not only directly from what you are eating.

I've been allergic to dairy for years and it didn't affect my daughter that I wasn't eating dairy during my pregnancy. In fact, I did one worse in that pregnancy by eating pretty poorly through a good chunk of it. I ended up anemic, but my daughter was just fine because she was getting everything from my body, not necessarily my diet at the time.

Definitely read up on how calcium is actually absorbed in the body and you'll probably wind up chucking your milk and grabbing some kale instead. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived