March whole30

Colleen Roy

We started our whole30 yesterday. It's our third attempt at a second whole30. ;) We did the first in July with great success. Since then, we've eaten pretty well, but each month we get further and further from consistent clean eating and have recently fallen back in to BAD habits. Too much drink and too much bad food. So, here we go, again.

Monday 3/4/13

Meal One: Leftover Chicken and Vegetable Soup with lots of ginger!

Meal Two: Leftover Salmon Cake with big salad

Mid-afternoon Snack: handful of cashews and raisins

Meal Three: Chicken Pad Thai from Well Fed (I LOVE THIS MEAL!)

I was feeling like utter crap-had some sort of stomach bug over the weekend and into Monday (or, more likely, a food/booze hangover from a week of crappy eating and indulging on my school vacation?) Headache, nausea and exhausted beginning after my run on Saturday. Didn't sleep well Saturday or Sunday night. One day of clean eating and I slept like a baby last night. DUH.

Tuesday 3/5/13

Meal One: Leftover Pad Thai

Meal Two: Grilled Chicken with a big salad

Pre-workout snack: apple and a handful of cashews and raisins

Exercise: CrossFit class

Meal Three: Blackened Steak and oven roasted asparagus

Looking forward to another good night of sleep.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day-school, play rehearsal, scenery painting, dinner with my daughters...good thing I have a plan!

Wednesday, 3/5-day three

Meal One: Last of the leftover Chicken Pad Thai :( (boo!)

Meal Two: Tuna Waldorf Salad

Snack: handful of cashews and raisins

Meal Three: dinner out-absolutely, ridiculously, outrageously delicious hangar steak with brussel sprouts. I asked them to sub extra brussel sprouts for the mashed potatoes. The steak was SO freaking good-cooked perfectly and tasty and tender. No bread with "12 year old balsamic vinegar & olive oil" either. Water with lemon to drink.

Play rehearsal after school was a bust. We have five rehearsals left till Opening Night. They don't have Act II down at all. AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH. :angry: I was pretty cranky at the end of rehearsal. Hopefully, they'll actually practice their lines between now and Monday. Time to rework a lesson for tomorrow, otherwise, we won't have a snow day! (I really don't want one, but if I don't prepare, we won't have one....)

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Thursday, March 7, 2013

No snow day today! Hooray! Might be one tomorrow though....

Meal one: 2 eggs with sweet potato & steak hash.

Meal two: Tuna Waldorf Salad and a garden salad

Meal three: Cajun spiced pork tenderloin and oven roasted zuke, summer red pepper & onions.

Snack: handful of cashews and raisins.

I would also like to report that I slept so soundly last night that I'm pretty sure I didn't even move once. I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in and I did not have bed head from tossing and turning.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Snow day today! Not gonna lie, I was ok with it. A 3 day weekend is always a good thing. I took full advantage of the time and finished my mid-term for my class, then went to CrossFit and had a good workout. On the way home, I hit a few stores for costumes and props for the upcoming play. Cannot wait till that is over so I can get my evenings back! :unsure:

Meal One: 3 scrambled eggs with crumbled italian sausage

Post Workout Snack: Mixed nuts: almonds, cashews and macadamias-not enough protein after such a hard workout! :o

Meal Two: Leftover pork tenderloin, roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes w/steak hash and half an avocado.

Meal Three: Blackened tilapia & scallops with a pineapple, red pepper, red onion & jalapeno salsa, and cumin roasted carrots. Yum. I even took a picture to show you all, but I can't figure out how to share it off my phone.

My energy is pretty low today-it's day 5. I've had a headache since this afternoon. Come on whole30 hump, get on with it already! :blink:

Happy weekend everyone!

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Woke up with a sore throat and a very congested chest. Felt better as the morning progressed, but my energy was low.

Meal One: Sweet potato and steak hash, 2 fried eggs and half a small avocado, plus 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

It was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous out there today-blue skies, sunny and warm. Went out for a 6 mile run with my dog. Had a really hard time getting my breathing under control. My mile splits were all over the place-between 9-12 minutes! The slowest was the last mile, which is all uphill. Not a great run, but miles are miles. We have a half marathon on St. Paddy's Day. I'm not expecting anything but to finish. Between my knee injury in January and the minimal amount of running I've been able to do, it will be whatever it is. I think the CrossFit I've been doing has helped maintain some sort of running fitness. We shall see next week!

Meal Two: Um. Forgot to have that...was out shopping for a new vacuum cleaner and didn't feel like getting something for the sake of getting something. I had some nuts in my car that I munched on in between stores. No luck finding a vacuum. Met my husband and we split a serving of chicken wings-the restaurant "broasts" them and I made sure to ask for plain. Took the edge off for the rest of the day.

Meal Three: Steak with asparagus.

Didn't sleep very well. The cold is settling in and making breathing uncomfortable....

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Head is full, throat is sore. Yup, first real cold of the season has me in it's grips. Damn. It was a gorgeous day again and friends invited me to ski. I decided against it and worked on my online class-need to finish it by 3/21 and I have quite a bit to left to do.

Meal One: Frittata with sundried tomatoes, red peppers, onions, italian sausage and eggs. 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal Two: Ate meal one late in the morning (11:00ish?), and wasn't hungry at all later in the day.

Meal Three: Korean BBQ Beef Salad

Made sure to drink lots of water today. Feeling pretty crummy. Hoping to sleep tonight!

I also cooked up a batch of Beef Stew today. Planning to poach a salmon fillet in the morning and try the ISWF Salmon Cakes with fresh salmon instead of canned...will report back on results.

Happy Daylight Savings everyone...

Monday, March 12, 2013

Sick as a dog today. Stupid cold. My head and chest are so congested. Long day at school, then play rehearsal till 4:30. I stayed at school until 6:00 to make sure that I had materials ready in case I need a sub tomorrow. Thinking I might...

Meal One: Leftover Sausage, Sundried tomato and Red Pepper Frittata, 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal Two: Leftover Korean BBQ Beef Salad

Meal Three: Paleo Beef Bourginon

Going to bed now. Wah. :(

Aw feel better soon!

Thank you Derval! I decided to get a sub and stayed home today. A wise choice-I feel even worse this morning than I did last night! Ugh. Hoping a day of rest will help. I think I'm going to make some chicken soup....

Tuesday March 12, 2013

Ugh. I stayed home sick today with a killer head/chest cold. Slept until 8:00 and got up and had coffee with coconut cream then fell back to sleep till about 10:00.

Meal One/Two: sweet potato hash with onions & spinach, 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon.

Back to the couch for the rest of the day. I finally showered around 4:00 and was feeling a little better. And then I wasn't. Ugh.

Meal Three: homemade chicken soup with lots of fresh veggies (onions, red pepper, jalapeno, carrots, celery and spinach) Spiced it up even more with chipotle, chile powder and cumin. Cooled it off with diced avocado. Yum.

I texted my husband and told him I needed something sweet. I had a crazy craving for chocolate. My darling husband brought me salted milk chocolate caramels....I adore them. And I ate them. SO WORTH IT. So, I fell off the whole30 wagon tonight.

That's ok. In the grand scheme of things, it could have been much worse, right? Could have been that whole sleeve of Thin Mints the other day, right? Instead, it was two salted milk chocolate caramels. I was totally compliant all day. I'm sick. Woe is me.... :wacko:

Yeah, I'm rationalizing like there's no tomorrow. Alas, there is. And I'll start this again. In earnest. It's only a failure if you don't get back on track, right?

Wednesday March 13, 2013

Still battling this stupid head/chest cold. Went to school today, but went straight to urgent care after school to see the doc. Sinus infection-antibiotics prescribed and purchased. PLEASE, make this throbbing head go away....even my teeth hurt! :blink:

Meal One: leftover sausage, egg and veggie frittata, sweet potato hash

Meal Two: leftover spicy chicken & veggie soup with avocado

Meal Three: California rolls with lots of extra wasabi and ginger. Yeah-not whole30, I know.....I suck. :ph34r:

Well, being sick and exhausted does not make for good choices....blew it Wednesday night with the California rolls. Back on track on Thursday though:

3/14/13 (National Pi Day, btw! ;) )

Meal One: Sweet potato & spinach hash with two fried eggs, 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal Two: Spicy chicken and vegetable soup

Meal Three: ISWF Salmon Cakes and a big green salad

Friday 3/15/13

Meal One: Sweet potato & spinach hash with a slice of italian sausage & sundried tomato frittata, 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk

Meal Two: Paleo Beef Stew

Stayed at school until 6:00 to work on the set for next weekend's production of Charlottte's Web, then stopped by a friend's to let her dogs out for her...home at 6:45. Tired, hungry and cranky.

Meal Three: Pork Chile Verde with a few bites of spanish rice & refried beans and two beers.... :o

I'm feeling much better after being on antibiotics since Wednesday night. Just tired from too many late nights at school and next week will be even worse! Three rehearsals and two performances...I won't be home until almost 7:00 every night Monday-Thursday and not until 10:00 on Friday & Saturday! Oh, and did I mention I'm running a half marathon tomorrow? WTH was I thinking when I signed up for that three months ago?????? :blink: Not planning to push myself as I've had a lousy three months of training between injuries & illness! Will take it slow and enjoy the sights along the coast and the company of my friend.

Time to finish my grad class. Oh yeah-that's the other thing that's due to be done this week! Someone needs to teach me how to use a calendar and pay attention to due dates!!!!!

Happy weekend everyone!

Archived