Starchy Carbohydrate Intake?

InkblotJo

After reading The Paleo Solution and It Starts With Food (both of which I enjoyed immensely), I decided I'd attempted a Whole 30 to fix my IBS symptoms. However, I've been uncertain as to starchy carbohydrate intake. I see a lot of advice floating around about limiting your starchy carbs to post workout, but I tend to incorporate a bit of starchy carbs in most meals. I'm 5'2", 105 lbs and doing a strength and conditioning program that has me lifting 4 days a week. I do a metcon or sprint sessions a couple times a week as well and participate in the occasional crossfit gymnastics or crossfit striking class. I'm concerned with performance and overall well-being. I want to make sure that I'm eating enough to fuel my activity and to progress as a CrossFit athlete; I'm just a little worried that eating those sweet potatoes is "giving in" to the sugar cravings and encouraging old habits that make me crave unhealthy foods... So the question-- is it okay to incorporate starchy carbs in most meals, or will that fuel my sugar cravings? (I'm only on day two and they're in full force right now...)

• Moderators

Your activity level means you need some carbs. Personally, sweet potatoes do not make me crave more sweet foods, but every body is different. You'll need to experiment and see how things go for you. The problem is, your sugar cravings are active now whether you eat sweet potatoes or not. You might blame sweet potatoes as a trigger food now even it they are not. There are several things you might try. One would be to include sweet potatoes in your diet now, assume they have nothing to do with your sugar cravings, and just muscle through until the cravings fade. Another route would be to avoid sweet potatoes, but include carbs like butternut squash, beets, or yucca root until the sugar cravings pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived