The Great Nitrate / Nitrate-Free Debate

Jamie

I am a strong advocate of "from scratch" cooking and make almost everything from scratch when I can. I am also Portuguese which makes me a big fan of pork. Making bacon and sausage is something I have been doing for years and I am always looking to perfect / hone my hobby.

The subject of nitrates / nitrate-free is a much debated topic, so I thought I would get everyone's take on the issue.

Items labeled nitrate-free are NOT nitrate-free but use a "cultured celery extract" which is a "natural" nitrate. Nitrates are necessary to stave off botulism which is a very serious illness and one I personally would like to avoid. There have been several articles written on the supposed "sham" from the food industry.

http://ruhlman.com/2...tes-added-hoax/

http://www.treehugge...full-of-it.html

I understand that sodium nitrate is a manufactured chemical. I also get my pork from a local farm, so I know the quality and the freshness of the meat that I use. Still, I am reluctant to cure a piece of meat for 7 days without some sort of protection. This is simply a different age then the one of our ancestors and unfortunately we need to protect ourselves.

I have found this for purchase

http://www.sausagema...uicepowder.aspx

But this seems to be just as manufactured and "chemically" as sodium nitrate. I would rather put my money on something I know will work everytime then on someone's "celery juice powder."

Also, the amount of sodium nitrate used is so minimal compared to the amount of the meat that I agree with Michael Ruhlman that the long term affects are negligble.

I think I saw that there are a few hunters on here and was curious what others who cure and smoke / dry meat use.

Let the debate rage on!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm replying just to bump this up. I didn't know there was no such thing as nitrate-free. I don't cure my own meat, but I'm hoping someone who does will see this if they missed it the first time, because now I'm really curious about how this stuff is/should be made.

Hi Jamie (and 1Maryann)!

In my opinion, that product doesn't look any more processed than any other extract or powdered spice. In fact, if one felt the need for a "cured taste or appearance" for their meats during a Whole30 I might even venture to say that it would be as appropriate as any other spice rub. But, if you're concerned about the efficacy of the product in preventing botulism then it's your call to make. You could always try cooking your pork belly fresh with some light seasoning (that's what we do in my house) or even passing up on the bacon for your 30 days.

That said, Nitrates aren't out for your Whole30, so if you prefer to use them to cure your meats feel free.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure of the long term effects, but they definitely do a short term number on a few people. I only know this because I bought hot dogs with celery salt instead of the usual form of nitrates/nitrites and got the usual headache anyway. Pain tends to motivate me to research.

Celery salt and celery juice are just natural versions of the same thing, possibly more difficult to regulate as far as dosing goes, and still a problem for those of us (admittedly the minority) that have a problem with it.

I don't do chemical nitrates/nitrites. I think it might just be in individual thing since there are good arguments on both sides. The reason why I don't do them is purely personal/emotional. My father died from colon cancer at 58. He ate a lot of cured meat with nitrites/nitrates. He was apparently also Celiac, though he never knew it. I know it because I had DNA testing done and according to the results, both of my parents had the gene for Celiac Disease.

Of course we will never know why he got colon cancer, but I have made it a point to avoid bacon and other meats with chemical nitrates as much as I can. Just a personal thing. I know that this probably doesn't help you, but again, I think it's an individual decision.

Archived