Stress+Cardio - Intense cravings crisis Mode

If I were to be really honest, I was on day 3 of the Whole 30 (I have been compliant with everything save for the odd white potato and dark chocolate for the past month.)

I was very ill-prepared for today. My trainer at the gym did an intense cardio session with me (after I had done a 20-minute jog, and for me that is a big deal). I did not have a PWO snack but finally ate something about an hour and a half later when I got home (long commute, longer story.)

I had packed a good lunch for today, and nibbled on some bacon this morning (of course not the best, but organic and nitrate-free). I am a teacher in an urban school, and spent all my preps and lunches in meetings and getting work done. Alas, my well thought out lunch remains in the teacher's room fridge.

I make my way home, a now 2.5+ hour commute through Manhattan, and I am absolutely miserable. I mean, completely beside myself. All I can think of is "pizza and ice cream." Pizza and ice cream.

Unfortunately, my living situation does not include a kitchen, so all I have on hand right now is... carrots. I hope I am not the only one feeling like this, but in any tough situation, I feel that carrots are NOT the answer, and would probably piss me off more.

So, I'm stuck. My fiance is jumping back and forth: "I will get you anything you want/I want you to be smart." It's like dangling an awesome toy in front of the kid he's not supposed to have and then reminding him he can't have it.

I know it is sad to feel completely controlled by food, but it is sincerely one of those days where I am at the end of my rope. My emotional cravings paired with intense hunger in addition to VERY sore legs is not a very good combo, and I am desperate for your help.

Personally, I always feel so much more inclined to binge when I'm hungry - even if you can't cook, is there somewhere you can run out for a salad? Or a piece of fruit with one of those little packages of almond butter? Even gas stations usually have bananas or apples. It sounds to me like you've barely eaten anything all day; if you're starving hungry it's perfectly logical that you're feeling ready to snap and dive into a pint of ice cream. If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to go find something real to eat, even if it isn't 100% ideal. THEN I would start making decisions about what I wanted to eat the rest of the day.

First off, congratulations for making the distinction between cravings and hunger (although it sounds like you are having a little of both)...

I totally agree with notacommittee.... get some real food in your body ASAP.... then at least you can check off the hunger thing while you give your brain a minute to recover. Then start TODAY to plan for tomorrow and don't leave the house without some real food in your bag... make it an unspoken rule, lest you find yourself in this situation again. The thing NOT to do is to just throw your hands up and figure that since you had a less than perfect day, you might as well blow it all the way and have Pizza and ice cream!!!

Hang in there... it does get easier! I promise.

Starving would make anyone feel miserable. If that's all I'd had all day I'd be ready to kill someone. Starving is absolutely no part of a W30, it's all about nourishing our bodies not starving them. Basically it all starts with breakfast. Review the meal template http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf and make sure your breakfast fits it. nibbling on a piece of bacon just doesn't cut the mustard.

I know it can be hard to fit in time to eat during the day when you're working. My daughter-in-law and a lot of her friends are teachers so I know the problem but really you have to prioritise your health, hopefully today will be better. Not having a kitchen also makes it harder so you have to be more creative. Do you have any means of heating, cooking food? A crockpot would be ideal, you could throw stuff in it in the morning and come home to dinner at night. good luck

If it were me.... I'd also back off the training until I was sure I had meals squared away,prepared,ready to go.... W30 is a very healthy change for your body, but change none the less, it can stress you the first couple of weeks until you are used to it if you ate a lot of sugar/ processed carbs....

Have a PostWo snack packed in your gym bag every time and eat it in your car before you drive if you have to ( I do)

If your in a time crunch prep your breakfast ahead of time also...

In the future if you can keep some emergency supplies in your desk at work... Can tuna/ sardines.... Macadamias, dehydrated veggies.... Etc to give yourself a mini meal ...... Your really need to eat at least three template correct meals and even a mini meal or two if nescassary....

Fuel your body......

Archived