First Whole30 Trip

emsers

I finished my first Whole30 in February and loved how I was feeling (and yes, how I looked) so much I decided to extend it to a Whole60. As I'm nearing the end (day 59) I realize that I'm really still not ready to be finished. I feel SO much better, I am loosing needed weight, my CrossFit performance has improved dramatically, and most importantly for me I have dropped a huge amount of emotional baggage about food (and binge eating) on this plan. I don't want to change what is already working so I'm opting to go for a Whole100. (And yes, at some point I will "ride my own bike" but for now I feel more comfortable just sticking to the plan.)

So all of that is to say that I partly timed my Whole60 to finish before an upcoming girls weekend in Chicago (and a trip to NYC in a few weeks.) My friends are not drinkers so I'm not worried about that, but I've only eaten out at restaurants twice in the 60 days and this will be a lot different.

The friend I'm staying with works at a University so there may be some eating on her meal plan in the cafeteria, plus obviously some restaurants, and hopefully some cooking in her apartment.

Any helpful tips from frequent travelers? I am planning to talk to my friends in advance to let them know about my Whole30 eating.

• Moderators

I fully support your staying with the Whole30 style of eating. I think I did not eat anything off plan for at least 4 months after I began my first Whole30. However, I am not sure it is wise to commit to staying Whole30-compliant while traveling and on vacation. When I am traveling, I just do the best I can because I don't want to sacrifice much time to searching for fully compliant options or suffer going hungry because I can't find Whole30-compliant food. I order lots of steak and broccoli, bunless burgers and salads, and broiled fish when I can find it. I just don't worry if I have to work around cheese or if something was cooked in butter instead of ghee. I find I can be 90 percent compliant eating out most of the time and I consider that good enough when I am not home.

I would plan on asking questions and choosing simple foods (having a hamburger or steak at a restaurant, steamed fish and veggies, etc). I am also not afraid to bring food into a restaurant (bring some of your favorite salad dressings, etc) to add to a meal there. I am finishing a whole100 (my first whole anything) on April 10th, but on March 31st my family and I are going out of town for 3 nights...so I feel ya! and I'm not about to break my whole100 10 days early, it's just the principle of the thing...I've eaten out while at home and I plan on just following that. I'm thinking restaurants should have hard boiled eggs for breakfast and some fruit.

are you driving or flying? I also plan on packing a small cooler with some of my favorite things (I love my hamburgers with mayo and mustard, so I always bring it when I go out to eat), maybe some hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, etc.) but we are driving so it will be easy for me. it's just a weekend, you can do it!

Archived