struggling a bit this week

helen

This is my second Whole 30 and the first week was a breeze but I find the past few days have been tough. My sugar cravings (or my weird processed food cravings) are rearing up and it is all kind of unexpected (like last night at work as student was eating Combos and I was like 'I want those!'). I didn't really go through this last time. I feel my sugar cravings are directly related to my poor sleep this week (two young children, not independent sleepers on a good day but up and down because of illness). I exercise or do yoga every day which helps. The evenings have been the toughest. I don't think I'm going to 'cheat' (too Type A for that) but I don't want to feel so obsessed with it all. I want to feel free from cravings.

Tuesday night I took a bath which helped.

Words of wisdom?

It's weird, I had this same experience about 2/3 of the way through my first Whole 30. Was crushing it with great meals, good sleep, etc., and then got totally hamstrung in week 3 by crazed thoughts of cheesecake and frozen pizza (neither of which ever speak to me on a usual basis).

So, a few thoughts:

(1) You are doing awesome.

(2) Taking a bath was a great idea. Especially if the water had some kind of bubbly, fragrant stuff in it.

(3) Sleep is key. What are the chances you could get another 13 hours this weekend?

(4) Perhaps now is a good time to re-connect with your 'why' — why are you doing another W30? What's in this for you that you aren't gonna get from a bag of Combos? What victories do you want to celebrate at the end of the W30? Sometimes I find that that remembering the reasons why I'm doing this helps curb the obsessive thoughts.

(5) And just to recap, you are doing awesome.

Thanks for the support. One of my goals is to deal with the psychological aspects of my eating. I have on my computer "Eat good food. Food that has a positive impact." I didn't want the Combos. But I wanted to not want them if that makes sense. Today is going better for me. I slept better last night. This seems to be a key for me.

Hang in there, Helen, it will happen. It's like giving up anything, we miss it at first and then the longer we go without, the less we want it. When I first gave up smoking, I really craved it everytime anyone near me lit up. Now anyone lights up and I think, please put that out - it's disgusting. It's the same with food, it gets so much easier as time goes on until we genuinely don't want it. I agree with you, getting enough sleep is a key part of it too. Good luck

Archived